carb for a 408 stroker

• Sponsors (?)

Yah, adding a turbo and forcing fuel and air into the engine adds to the displacement, so in the simplest terms, when you installed that turbo, you turned your small block into a big block.

Engines are rated at atmospheric pressure which is usually around 14.7 psi. An engine with 351 cubic inches under normal atmospheric conditions DOUBLES in size when you double the atmospheric pressure. In other words, add 14.7 psi of boost and your engine really has 700 cubic inches of actual displacement.

Even at 7 psi or so, that is half atmospheric pressure, so you just added about 175 cubic inches to your 351. It is now about a 525 cubic inch engine, so naturally if you had a car that had a 525 cubic inch engine in it with 3.08 gears, it's GOING to pull those gears MUCH better than a smaller engine.

Isn't forced induction nice? :)

Answer 3 for D. Hearne: Yes, with small heads, a small cam, and even more importantly.... too small of a stall converter and/or rear gears that aren't low enugh, a 650 DP can (and will in most cases), cause even a 408 cubic inch engine to bog off the line.

I ain't gonna argue with you. That's not what I came on here for. I have better things to do than argue. I do this for a living and have a pretty "BAD ASS" reputation to back me up. All I can say or relay is what I know from experience and LOTS of cars and dyno work.

Put a 650 DP on a 400M or a 390 engine with a stock converter and stock rear gears and watch it bog. That's almost 408 cubes. The time slip at the track tells the story. If you ever want to run one, I am sure I can muster something up around here and meet you at Sears Point Raceway for a check :)
You may have a reputation somewhere, but I've never heard of you till you came here. I've run a 650 DP on a stock 390 4 bbl motor (68 Merc Monterey backed with a stock C-6 and a 2,75 rear) and it never bogged down off the line. It DID bog big time with an 850DP.
You seem to be able to talk a good game, but your theorys aren't 100%. The lengthly replys are somewhat annoying too. Seems like you'd not have this much time for typing if you were really that busy building racing engines.:D

"You seem to be able to talk a good game, but your theorys aren't 100%. The lengthly replys are somewhat annoying too. Seems like you'd not have this much time for typing if you were really that busy building racing engines. ". :rlaugh:

I have to laugh. Who are YOU to question anyone on anything? You own a shop and build engines for a living? You own or ever build any top contending cars or engines? You ever build any 6,7,8 or 9 second cars? You ever been hired as a tech writer or tech guy for major performance companies? Do you have race winning engines in everything from sand dragsters to road racers to dragsters in countries like Egypt, Norway, New Zealand, Australia, Germany, Canada, Mexico, and beyond? Do you get calls from other engine builders and shops for tech advice? Why don't you show ME what YOU have done, and I'll show you 25 (that would blow your doors off) for every one of yours, whether YOU have heard of me or not.

And for your FYI, I do have plenty of time to do whatever I want because I not only own this company (since 1978), I am also the senior VP or a major Wall St. IR / venture capitalist company which allows me a salary to do whetever I want, WHEN ever I want. I am semi retired and only take-on engine projects that "I" feel like doing, not because I HAVE to. If you get annoyed because I have probably forgotten more than you know, then don't read my posts. I am doing nothing wrong or misguiding anyone. YOU are the one that seems to have a problem, and it quite franky, it makes me laugh :rlaugh:

You may have a reputation somewhere, but I've never heard of you till you came here. I've run a 650 DP on a stock 390 4 bbl motor (68 Merc Monterey backed with a stock C-6 and a 2,75 rear) and it never bogged down off the line. It DID bog big time with an 850DP.
You seem to be able to talk a good game, but your theorys aren't 100%. The lengthly replys are somewhat annoying too. Seems like you'd not have this much time for typing if you were really that busy building racing engines.:D

"You seem to be able to talk a good game, but your theorys aren't 100%. The lengthly replys are somewhat annoying too. Seems like you'd not have this much time for typing if you were really that busy building racing engines. ". :rlaugh:

I have to laugh. Who are YOU to question anyone on anything? You own a shop and build engines for a living? You own or ever build any top contending cars or engines? You ever build any 6,7,8 or 9 second cars? You ever been hired as a tech writer or tech guy for major performance companies? Do you have race winning engines in everything from sand dragsters to road racers to dragsters in countries like Egypt, Norway, New Zealand, Australia, Germany, Canada, Mexico, and beyond? Do you get calls from other engine builders and shops for tech advice? Why don't you show ME what YOU have done, and I'll show you 25 (that would blow your doors off) for every one of yours, whether YOU have heard of me or not.

And for your FYI, I do have plenty of time to do whatever I want because I not only own this company (since 1978), I am also the senior VP or a major Wall St. IR / venture capitalist company which allows me a salary to do whetever I want, WHEN ever I want. I am semi retired and only take-on engine projects that "I" feel like doing, not because I HAVE to. If you get annoyed because I have probably forgotten more than you know, then don't read my posts. I am doing nothing wrong or misguiding anyone. YOU are the one that seems to have a problem, and it quite franky, it makes me laugh :rlaugh:

now now boys play nice. D at least he isnt like mikethebike, arron actually knows what he is talking about even if we disagree with him. arron, while i dont have the experience you have, i do have a degree in automotive technology, and a couple of my teachers were david vizard, denny wykopf, and don woods. these guys are also some of the top people in the field and i learned a lot from them. i have also spent time at the race track as a crew chief on a B/FA that also spent time as an A/EA car. and i have put time in as a crew member on a couple of circle track cars, mostly local stuff though. i do miss the days of tuning a jackson injector though, especially trying to work around a car owner that knew very little about the system but pretended he did.

rbohm; thanks. I am trying to play nice, but I won't just sit there ane let someone dis me.

Kudos on your education and track experience! I was a crew member for the worlds fastest blown fuel flat bottom boat back when the NDBA was around. It was "Explosion" #465 dribven by Tom Black. We set the worlds record running a big block Chevy in 1979 with a speed of 167.48, which is fast for a 17 foot flat bottom boat with an 1,800 HP fueler sitting behind you. We ran less power than the 3,000 HP fueler cars back then because the engine was bolted to wood and the torque of a bigger motor would have made it REALLY difficult to not flip the boat at high RPMs.

I too played around with the circle rack guys. Built a few sprint car engines and roundy round engines for guys running the circuits a while back. Mostly 360 and 410 class "outlaw" engines. I built the engine in the Cartoon Network Cup Car after it retired to run in the American Iron class where it was a top contender. The American Iron track speed record and top contender was a guy by the name of Keith Parker in a highly modified 72 Vette running a 434 small block Chevy I built. He set the record at Willow Springs Raceway in that class and was the #1 contender 2 or 3 years in a row.

The Bonneville 1000 and the Silver State Classic both have cars and engines (Ford and Chevy) running in them. One by a guy named Jon who runs a tube chassis convertible 68 Camaro who has never placed less than 3rd in all of the races he was in, and often placed 1st or 2nd.

Our blown alcohol dragster runs upper 6's in the Top Dragster class. You can see that car running by going to You Tube and looking up "Take a ride with melissa". I think in that pass she makes a 7:19 or so time, but that car has a glide tranny and we only use 2nd gear. Watch it launch. It's like grama's car driving off the line it leaves so smooth and slow.

I have crap loads of engines running in top places around the world. I've designed heads & intakes for Edelbrock, carbs for Quick Fuel Technology (which you can see on our twin blown / twin nitroused 66 Mustang in our gallery). I have pistons that Sealed Power adopted and put in their line-up. I have class champion boats running in the east coast boating association where one guy that I built a small block for is in the top of his class with guys running big block powered boats. I have built several champion mud bog trucks, sand dragsters, sand rails. I have built engines for a truck owned by a guy down in El Centro that placed quite well in the Baja 500 and Baja 1,000,. I've owned 2 dynos, 7 mustangs, 1 rare big block California Special, 2 shelbys, a 427 Vette, a 48 Anglia with a blown small blown alcohol small block, a, injected Fiat Topolino (ran both of those at Fremont raceway back in the late 70's), a factory ram-air "Formula" 69 Firebird with a special race package ordered, 3 '66 Chevelles (one ran 10's in street trim), 10 second street cars, 7, 8 and 9 second race cars and a zillion other things over the decades. I guess MY experience doesn't compare to a couple of guys that have day jobs and tinker with the 2 or 3 cars they've ever owned or built.

I only came on here to help people with a problem if they wanted some help. I didn't know a couple of guys who have 2 or 3 cars, or who may have raced a car back in their day once or twice would know SO much about... well I don't know what. I guess that's why some people do what they do, and I do what I do.....

Aaron, no one's dissing you here. You seem to be doing a good job of that on your own. And as for all your "experience" you've listed, I've STILL, never heard of you, or your exploits. If you truly were who you claim to be, you'd hardly have the time to share with us peons here. With all that's happened on Wall Street lately, I wouldn't go around touting that on my resume.:rlaugh:

A Rebuttal

Aaron, no one's dissing you here. You seem to be doing a good job of that on your own. And as for all your "experience" you've listed, I've STILL, never heard of you, or your exploits. If you truly were who you claim to be, you'd hardly have the time to share with us peons here. With all that's happened on Wall Street lately, I wouldn't go around touting that on my resume.:rlaugh:

D.Hearne,

With over 9,600 posts to your credit, I am sure that you have contributed information that has proved useful to others on this board. Unfortunately, your most recent posts as they relate to this topic do not appear to be one of them.

Here we have an example of a professional that has gone out of his way to give tech advice drawing from his vast knowledge garnered over 30 plus years in the business, free of charge.

Let me just say that this "peon" can appreciate an individual that contributes not because they have to or that they are "bored", but rather because they actually enjoy what they do to an extent that they wish to share the information so that other individuals might benefit.

Unfortunately, you do not appear to be one of those individuals.

By the way, I really am nobody, but even I can recognize good stuff when I see it.

D.Hearne,

With over 9,600 posts to your credit, I am sure that you have contributed information that has proved useful to others on this board. Unfortunately, your most recent posts as they relate to this topic do not appear to be one of them.

Here we have an example of a professional that has gone out of his way to give tech advice drawing from his vast knowledge garnered over 30 plus years in the business, free of charge.

Let me just say that this "peon" can appreciate an individual that contributes not because they have to or that they are "bored", but rather because they actually enjoy what they do to an extent that they wish to share the information so that other individuals might benefit.

Unfortunately, you do not appear to be one of those individuals.

By the way, I really am nobody, but even I can recognize good stuff when I see it.
That's all well and good, but unfortunately Aaron isn't who he claims to be.:rlaugh: He's hardly a professional and he's not Edelbrock's tech and installation guy either. If he were, I for one, don't need snobby attitudes like his to guide me. :rolleyes:

Hey RBOHM,

What ever happened to Denny Wykopf? When I was ready for a cam for my 408 he was no where to be found, I ended up using CI I'd sure like to know what he would have came up with.

understand that when i was in college and he was my instructor, it was 1979! and he was in his 40's at least. he has likely retired and sold off his business.

"That's all well and good, but unfortunately Aaron isn't who he claims to be "

me thinks you need do dig a little deeper

............. why do folks on all these internet forums resent it when someone shows up that challenges their level of expertise ? Its not just this site, woodworking forums , bowhunting forums , are the very same . Why do some folks feel they have "squatters rights" to a forum ? ................. what I mean by that is on most forums the "old guys" ( the ones with the most posts) feel their position on the forum is being challenged and do everything they can to discourage the insolent new guy from posting ...... 8^(

It seems to me that someone new that just might know something we dont would be welcomed ..................... obviously the new guy just might learn a few things from us as well

Oh well .................. I guess the root of it is EXACTLY the same reason this country sticks its nose into the rest of the worlds business and about every ten years sends young people off to be killed ................ we are just not programed in our society to "live and let live" .......... we think we have to be in charge .................... 8^(

OK ................. I'm gonna take this soapbox I just got off of out and burn it now ................. thanks for your time ................... 8^)

"That's all well and good, but unfortunately Aaron isn't who he claims to be "

me thinks you need do dig a little deeper

............. why do folks on all these internet forums resent it when someone shows up that challenges their level of expertise ? Its not just this site, woodworking forums , bowhunting forums , are the very same . Why do some folks feel they have "squatters rights" to a forum ? ................. what I mean by that is on most forums the "old guys" ( the ones with the most posts) feel their position on the forum is being challenged and do everything they can to discourage the insolent new guy from posting ...... 8^(

It seems to me that someone new that just might know something we dont would be welcomed ..................... obviously the new guy just might learn a few things from us as well

Oh well .................. I guess the root of it is EXACTLY the same reason this country sticks its nose into the rest of the worlds business and about every ten years sends young people off to be killed ................ we are just not programed in our society to "live and let live" .......... we think we have to be in charge .................... 8^(

OK ................. I'm gonna take this soapbox I just got off of out and burn it now ................. thanks for your time ................... 8^)
I neither need to dig deeper into Aaron's background nor feel threatened in any way by his posting here. Just his snobby attitude and thesis sized posts turned me off to him and made me suspect he was a troll. A true profesional does not treat others as "peons" like he did. He has that same attitude, that the politicians who're running this country into the ground, have towards others who he thinks are somehow inferior to him and his so called "level of expertise" . Nobody's perfect and knows absolutely everything there is to know on any given subject, myself included. I for one do not & will not miss him and his Wall Street, Wine and Cheese crowd attitude or superior intellect. As for who was responsible for our going to war in Iraq and Afganistan, just remember it wasn't just President Bush who led us there, the Democrats who're running congress now all voted for it. And they all relied on intelligence that was gleaned over President Clinton's watch in doing it. And yea, I've got a son who's a US Marine there now.:flag: Nobody forced him to join, and neither were any of the other members of our armed forces, they're all, each and every last one of them................................ VOLUNTEERS.