Carburetor not getting fuel on cold start (76 Ghia)

Hello, I just acquired a 1976 Mustang II Ghia with the V8. Upon cold start, the engine will crank but not turn over. Fuel pump has been replaced with another mechanical one, but fuel still doesn’t seem to be pumping all the way to the carb. I have a few things on the list to do, including replacing the fuel filter and spark plugs and wires. I pump the accelerator a bit when turning ignition but still doesn’t seem to work. Fires right up after adding a little bit of gas to the carb, but sometimes will die if I don’t push on the accelerator enough and get the idle up slowly. I saw someone having a similar issue on a 74 (I think) but with a V6. Just looking for a general direction to head in and if anyone has any recs on if converting to an electric fuel pump would be something to consider. He (his name is Carlton) still needs some work but I would like to at least be able to get it running a little easier. I did try adjusting the idle screw today since it was idling pretty rough but it made it worse and it died when I accelerated a touch too hard so I put it back to original spot. I apologize if I got any terms wrong, I’m still learning about this car and some mechanical aspects!

Attachments

• IMG_8511.jpeg
    IMG_8511.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8512.jpeg
    IMG_8512.jpeg
    743.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the site! Good looking car!

It sounds like it's getting fuel by what you're saying. I'd venture a guess and say the carb needs a good cleaning and/or rebuilding.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's what I probably should've said yesterday:

Have you pulled the line from the pump to the carb to see if there was sufficient flow? I'd pull that line, stick it into some sort of container, crank the engine for a minute then check the container. That'd give you an idea whether or not the pump is doing it's job. If it's not, then it'd probably be a good idea to see if you're getting fuel from the tank to the pump. If you have access to an air compressor, I'd say pull the line from the tank (be prepared to block the connection at the tank as it may start dumping fuel when you disconnect it...) and disconnect it at the pump, then blow air through it to make sure there is not some sort of blockage to the pump. If the tank doesn't start pouring fuel out when you disconnect it, then the chances are that the pick up is blocked.

As for adding an electric pump, I'd say there's no need if you're keeping it carbureted. That would just be adding one more potential problem (one more place it can leak, one more failure point, one more electrical connection and added draw to an already "weak" system....). The charging system on 70s Fords isn't really up to snuff to add much more of an electrical load than what they came with from the factory. My personal experience is that it can only withstand a little more than that. I've added an air/fuel gauge and an electric fan in addition to an MSD and it couldn't handle the extra load while running the headlights. That forced me into upgrading and running a 3G alternator. So, my recommendation, is to keep the mechanical pump. If, for some reason, it doesn't supply sufficient fuel, I'd look into swapping for a high volume mechanical pump - I believe Edelbrock makes them along with maybe a few other manufacturers. It's probably not needed though, unless you're putting out a lot of horsepower.... :shrug:

Here's what I probably should've said yesterday:

Have you pulled the line from the pump to the carb to see if there was sufficient flow? I'd pull that line, stick it into some sort of container, crank the engine for a minute then check the container. That'd give you an idea whether or not the pump is doing it's job. If it's not, then it'd probably be a good idea to see if you're getting fuel from the tank to the pump. If you have access to an air compressor, I'd say pull the line from the tank (be prepared to block the connection at the tank as it may start dumping fuel when you disconnect it...) and disconnect it at the pump, then blow air through it to make sure there is not some sort of blockage to the pump. If the tank doesn't start pouring fuel out when you disconnect it, then the chances are that the pick up is blocked.

As for adding an electric pump, I'd say there's no need if you're keeping it carbureted. That would just be adding one more potential problem (one more place it can leak, one more failure point, one more electrical connection and added draw to an already "weak" system....). The charging system on 70s Fords isn't really up to snuff to add much more of an electrical load than what they came with from the factory. My personal experience is that it can only withstand a little more than that. I've added an air/fuel gauge and an electric fan in addition to an MSD and it couldn't handle the extra load while running the headlights. That forced me into upgrading and running a 3G alternator. So, my recommendation, is to keep the mechanical pump. If, for some reason, it doesn't supply sufficient fuel, I'd look into swapping for a high volume mechanical pump - I believe Edelbrock makes them along with maybe a few other manufacturers. It's probably not needed though, unless you're putting out a lot of horsepower.... :shrug:
I have not yet, but I’ll start there! Thank you for the info!! I literally just got this car Saturday and it’s had some work but clearly not enough. I was wondering about that with the electric fuel pumps, plus it sounded like it would be a pain attempting to get excess back to the tank if that became an issue. Thank you very much!

Yes, it would be a pain. You'd have to run a return line, somehow plumb it to return to the tank, and add a regulator to decrease pressure to somewhere around 6-8 psi. Most electric pumps provide a lot more pressure than a carburetor needs and would easily flood it as well as possibly spraying gas all over the place.

Yes, it would be a pain. You'd have to run a return line, somehow plumb it to return to the tank, and add a regulator to decrease pressure to somewhere around 6-8 psi. Most electric pumps provide a lot more pressure than a carburetor needs and would easily flood it as well as possibly spraying gas all over the place.
Yeah, that’s what I thought. Well I appreciate your input and advice and hopefully I can make some progress!

Oh, one more thing - it's possible your float is stuck keeping the needle on the seat and not allowing fuel to enter the carb bowl. It might not be a bad idea to check that as one of the first things.

While I agree there is no need to add an electric pump, I have to disagree with the rest. I have ran a Holley blue pump on mine for about 35 years and have no issue with electric draw. Also it does not require an return line, it comes with a regulator and deadheads just like a mechanical one. I have also ran them on other street cars and trucks.

Reactions: 2 users
Also it does not require an return line,.... deadheads just like a mechanical one.
While (almost) all the mechanical fuel pumps I've seen don't have a return line, the one exception I've dealt with is the mechanical fuel pump used on the 1982 through 1985 5.0 Mustangs. That may also be the case with other models that used the carb'ed 5.0 during those years.... dunno. :shrug: You can see the return line nipple above the outlet fitting on this page from RA.

While I agree there is no need to add an electric pump, I have to disagree with the rest. I have ran a Holley blue pump on mine for about 35 years and have no issue with electric draw. Also it does not require a return line, it comes with a regulator and deadheads just like a mechanical one. I have also ran them on other street cars and trucks.
Good to know, thank you!

It does start up ok, just idles really low with a chug and as soon as you put it in gear it wants to stall. Acceleration is even worse if I can pump the throttle through stalling before hand.
However it is only random that us stalls but still chugs pretty good at low idle.