Cats or no Cats

02GTLR

Jul 3, 2004
SE Mich
I am looking to get a louder sound at a fairly cheap price. Right now I have 40 series delta flows but they are not all that loud at all. I was thinking of getting original 40 series flowmasters but I have heard that the difference in volume is not a whole lot. Now I like the sound of the flowmasters but I need more volume.

A friend has suggested losing the cats. I have stock everything other than the Mufflers. I want to be loud enough to hear coming down the road from a distance but not annoyingly loud. Would getting the Original 40's be enough or would I have to get rid of the Cats.

• Sponsors (?)

02GTLR said:
I am looking to get a louder sound at a fairly cheap price. Right now I have 40 series delta flows but they are not all that loud at all. I was thinking of getting original 40 series flowmasters but I have heard that the difference in volume is not a whole lot. Now I like the sound of the flowmasters but I need more volume.

A friend has suggested losing the cats. I have stock everything other than the Mufflers. I want to be loud enough to hear coming down the road from a distance but not annoyingly loud. Would getting the Original 40's be enough or would I have to get rid of the Cats.

I have Flows 1 chamber..on my 98 at first..with my Six Cats it still sounded hella mean. Losing your cats without changing the H pipe..is..just dont even go that route..if your gonna do it do it right..either full H or X whiever u prefer....I have 1 chamber flows, BBK off-road H pipe, and 2.5 turn downs...IT IS 2 LOUD!!! i hav the loudest mustang prolly car in town...monday i will be switching to 2 chamber flows and bbk h pipe..its gonna sound hella mean..well like ne nice gt that catches ur ear...if ur gonna do it do it right..and if u go offroad..GET MIL ELIMINATORS! save urself the trouble..-trey

I did that first, i took the stock pipe off and gutted the first pair of cats out (its a Bi*** taking them out) I put the stock back up and man!! you really can hear the difference. I went and purchased a o/r X pipe and that thing is WAYYYY to loud for me, so i took that out and put stock pipe with the gutted cats back on. i think i have a sound clip of my exhaust will try to find it and post it soon...

If you can in your state and still pass, lose the cats and it will be loud ...if not, get a Hi-flow cat X-pipe or something ...2 hi flows are louder than the 4 or 6 stock cats. I have the catted X with original 40 series flows and it sounds great ...you can hear me coming ...no cats would be even slightly louder than that too

No cats is illegal in every state technically speaking. It is a federal offense to remove or tamper with the emission system. That said, you probably wont get caught in a state that doesnt have any kind of visual inspection. However, in some states the police/state troopers will use a mirror to look under your car if you are pulled over for something (like having an exhaust that is too loud) If you are caught without any cats they impound your car (in some states) This isnt an urban legend either, I know of at least one person who has had this happen to them.

Original 40s and O/R hpipes on my 90. Sound is very loud, very nice!

I have to keep my cats on for autocross on my 95. Anyone heard about the Super 40s from Flowmaster? Looking for the same loud note if possible...

I had a mac o/r h pipe and 2 chamber flows on my 00 gt and man did it sound mean, I had the flows on before the h pipe and when I made the switch it was worth it, lose the cats.

i have stock manifolds for now and 2 stock cats. I used the stock piping size to the h-pipe and the replaced the h-pipe with a dr. gas 2.5" x-pipe and then opened it up even more and went 3" after the x-pipe to the rear axle, and dumped... NO MUFFLERS!!!

Great at low RPS. Has a real deep tone and then when you get on it You Know!