Center Console Repair

78CHARLIE

Nov 24, 2003
Houston
I'm in the process of redying/repainting an old center console and associated parts. Have 2 questions-

1- My car didn't come with it. Any measurements to install the brackets correctly?

2-Instead of buying a new chrome "cup" area under the brake handle I'm going to paint it silver. Got some of the nasty old chrome and 2 layers of paint off. Any tricks to peeling the rest of the chrome off?

Thanks-
Tony

• Sponsors (?)

Tony,

The measurements I used recently were:

for the rear bracket, the distance between the rivit hole for the bracket and the center of the rear e-brake mounting bolt is 1 3/8". For the front bracket I used 26 1/2" from the rivit hole to the center of the front e-brake bolt.

To remove the chrome from the coin tray or shifter bezel I found that soaking them in a tray of pure household bleach works very well. Just let it soak for a while and the chrome wipes right off without damaging the plastic. To repaint mine I used duplicolor "chrome" looks good but like most silver paints if you rub it some will come off so I fllowed it with a coat of clear.

Best of luck,

Francis "Turbo II"

Francis-
Thanks for the measurements.

The chrome has been coming off in thick sheet (little piece at a time) like aluminum foil. Got it off most of the sides, but the middle raised area it's really stuck. I do a lot of models and soak pieces in Westley's Bleach-White to unchrome parts, but this is a different type of chroming process.

Thanks-
Tony