Checking out 4.6 talk

Wasn't that whole 10 hp drop from '93 to '94 just a marketing ploy? They had the mod motor in the works at the time, and knew the power output would be marginally the same as the '93 5.0 (with less torque). So the power rating conveniently drops in '94, with the convenient result that the mod motor gets to look like an all around improvement over the previous engine.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure Greg. Seems to me that the drop in rated power for the '93 was along those lines (to make the 94's look ok). Mike is very good with all that factoid stuff.

Mike, thanks for the feedback. At some point I will actually have to own one of those things - plastic intake and all. :rlaugh:
FWIW, my almost 50 year old bud drove his to LA (from Tucson) and back and said it was great on the road, just like you said.

HISSIN50 said:
Not sure Greg. Seems to me that the drop in rated power for the '93 was along those lines (to make the 94's look ok). Mike is very good with all that factoid stuff.

Well ford's official response is the 10HP bump from 205HP in '93 to 215HP in 1994 was due to the electric fan freeing up 10HP. The Mustang remained rated at 215HP until 1998 when it got bumped again to 225HP thanks to a retuned computer and revised exhaust.

Why did Ford rate the 93's (and 93-95 Cobras) so low? WHo knows. They claim it was a revised rating system, but it's a wide combination of many things. Many of the small changes to the 5.0 over the years were never reflected. The addition of MAF in 1989, cam profile changes in 90 and 91, exhast changes and other small mods decreased power from the 225HP of 87-88 and were never reflected. So in reality the '93 5.0 does really have less HP than say an 87 5.0...but is it 20HP? I dunno really.

super302 said:
I've owned both, and i have to say that DOHC>5.0 :D

I actually owned a Mark 8 with the 4.6L DOHC and absolutely love that motor. It revs to the sky and does it silky smooth. Only reason i bought the car was for the engine.....and to make Highway Gangbang films in it. :lol:

ive owned both cars, both stock and modified.

my fox was easy to make fast, but never very comfortable to drive. accepted mods well.

my 2000 gt rides awesome, had all the modernized things i was looking for. however, the power wasnt there for me. ive never been a real aggressive driver, ie: downshifting to 4500 rpm's to race someone. i like power there whenever pretty much at lower rpm's. so i did missed that aspect of my fox.

now i just bought my 03 cobra. it went a step above my gt and has the power. perfect car for me.

taking all of that in, i still like cars on both sides. the 2v 4.6 is expensive to modify and not very impressive gains though. i saw that car as a dead end to me when i thought of modding it. imo, if your in it for performance pick a 4v or a 5.0, then whatever body style you prefer. :shrug:

88SCGT/331 pony/281 pony, when did you pick up the 03 snake? Seems like you had just picked up the other NE not long ago :shrug: Congrats!

I missed the posts about your new ride (we lost both you and Kevin to 03/04 Cobras). Fine fine choices though. :drool:

Mustang5L5 said:
I'm getting the itch for a Cobra vert myself :eek:
That itch could be from sitting in the back of your old G-ride (interpret the term G-ride however you want to take it. :lol: ).

Sorry Mike, I just cant help it - I saw a blurb on one of the National News shows about your ride when that all went down.

Seriously, the 03/04 Snakes are my top pick of any modern stang. Great taste ya got!

I saw pics of Pony's snake last night too (I dont read either Talk section too often).

HISSIN50 said:
Sorry Mike, I just cant help it - I saw a blurb on one of the National News shows about your ride when that all went down.

Yeah, i remember that. I couldn't beleive a silly little joke like that hit national news. I tried to get a clip, but all i could get was a transcript.

At least i still have a copy of the ad saved