Chin Spoiler...what's the purpose?

ChrisYellowV6

Dec 25, 2003
Pensacola, FL
What is the purpose of a chin spoiler? I see them a lot, and I have one offered to me off an old mach 1 in perf. condition for $30 with all hardware to attach it...but before I get it I want to know what the purpose is besides looks?

• Sponsors (?)

they had it on the 302 boss to start with, some jappo guy that used to work for chevrolet put it on, he also added those fins on the back winder, so next time yah see those on a stang you gotta holler out "traitor!"

.... i think

97v6Silver said:
they had it on the 302 boss to start with, some jappo guy that used to work for chevrolet put it on, he also added those fins on the back winder, so next time yah see those on a stang you gotta holler out "traitor!"

.... i think

:rolleyes: That "Jappo" was Larry Shinoda. He designed the Stingray Corvette and the Z-28. At Ford, he was the one who decided to use the fastback body and front/rear spoilers on the Boss Mustangs. Did i mention he came up with the Boss moniker?

hmm, i was under the impression that they were used to scoop air into the engine bay(not like a ram air idea but more of a keep the engine cool idea) for the original mach ones and the new ones are just there for re-creation look

ChrisYellowV6 said:
What is the purpose of a chin spoiler? I see them a lot, and I have one offered to me off an old mach 1 in perf. condition for $30 with all hardware to attach it...but before I get it I want to know what the purpose is besides looks?

Damn, only one guy got it right. It's front end downforce... traction at high speeds. holy moly...