Chin Spoiler...what's the purpose?

ChrisYellowV6

Dec 25, 2003
Pensacola, FL
What is the purpose of a chin spoiler? I see them a lot, and I have one offered to me off an old mach 1 in perf. condition for $30 with all hardware to attach it...but before I get it I want to know what the purpose is besides looks? AND...is it worth $50?

• Sponsors (?)

downforce

a front "chin" spoiler or "splitter" created a bigger high pressure area in front of the car, which pushes down on the front of the car and makes the front end stick to the road better. it ALSO restricts the amount of air that flows under the car. what this does, when the front of the car is lower than the rear of the car, is spread out the air under the car, creating a low pressure area, which pulls down on the bottom of the car, creating downforce. but for street purposes its just for looks and the mach 1 spoilers arent very wide so theres no real concern with scraping. sure its worth 50 bucks if u like the look

Just for note, the chin spoiler moslty goes down. A splitter goes forward. You need the horrizontal plane for the excess pressure to push down (look at race preped cars like the Viper). Without it, it just opposes forward motion.

As for it creating low pressure, that requires generally low ground clearance, lower front end than rear (floor pan atleast) creating a massive diffuser, and most likely ground effects that "seal" the high pressure air from around the bottom of the car from spilling into the low pressure created under the car.

On my old Saturn I swear I felt a slight (and I may have been thinking too much) difference once the missing air damn got replaced, but several people disagree with me. That's how little difference the addition of an air dam made, and I got an extra 1 mpg, so that was probably just better driving at the time.

The Mach 1 chin spoilers appear to be just for looks, but if it is lower than the stock air damn, it may actually clean up the air flow around the motor giving less drag coefficient.

I dont think any of you know what you are talking about. I traded my GT in for a Mach 1 and Im convinced that the 2 second improvement in the 1/4 is because of the 2 inch plastic attachment you guys are referring to as a chin spoiler. I know for a fact that it gave me an extra 98 hp and 20 more miles per gallon.
Just for looks.....yeah...whatever.

(total sarcasm because I am at work and bored out of my mind)

what a waste of money. I should know cause i spent about 50 something bucks, which is way over priced for that 2 inch piece of plastic that does absolutely nothing. but if yea like the look of it, go for it.

laserstang38 said:
On my old Saturn I swear I felt a slight (and I may have been thinking too much) difference once the missing air damn got replaced, but several people disagree with me. That's how little difference the addition of an air dam made, and I got an extra 1 mpg, so that was probably just better driving at the time.
many cars, saturn especially uses that air dam/spoiler to aid in cooling, my saturn ran a quarter scale lower in temp on the freeway after I installed the missing dam