clapping type sound when turning?

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys, I just took my slicks off and put the cobra r's on. When ever I turn right like a slow sharp turn say in a parking lot, and when i drive straight for about 10ft, I get this clapping type sound, honestly it sounds like the tire is sticking to the gound, you know that squishing type sound when your shoe has something sticky under it, it sounds kinda like that mixed with a clunking/clapping sound, ive stood outside the car while someone drove it in a circle around me and can definatly hear the noise but didnt see anything wrong, its definatly coming from the back passenger wheel, but thats about all the info I can give, it dosent sound good, I can try to get a video clip if you guys need. It kinda seems like everytime the wheel turns it makes the sound like its going over something, once I come out of the turn go straight about 10ft it stops.. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Usually if it's a tie rod or something similar they make a huge "Thooong!"

I should know- my car does it now on tight turns. The 17 x 9 wheels will highlight anything wrong with the suspension in a hurry.

+1 for something stuck in tread :)

c0uld als0 be s0mething internal. like the differential clutches hanging up. have y0u changed rear end fluid recently 0r d0es it leak? it might be l0w and n0t getting en0ugh lube. als0 make sure the tire is tightened d0wn all the way and its n0t w0bbling a little

I have brand new 3.73 gears, full bearing kit, new axle bearings, and new trac lock clutches all installed by jake lomatta, professional mustang shop. I also had all the rear drums brakes rebuilt because they were completely shot, so everything back there is new, not more then half a year, maybe it has something to do with too much traction from the slicks did something in there? Its weird though because it didnt do it when I had the slicks on, I drove the slicks for about 2 weeks after the track, and it just started when I put the cobra r's on, never had a problem with the 17x9 wheels. One thing I think the traction did was it striped one of the wheel studs, so one of the lug nuts dosent go on all the way, but its in, its tight and its straight, so idk if that has something to do with it.

Nick.. If you're running slicks, you REALLY need to replace the stock wheel studs with long, Moroso or similar hardened studs. It's just unsafe. You're going to end up sheering off all the studs one night at OSW and going straight into the wall. The studs are cheap, and any shop can install them for a few bucks. If the stock studs are already showing wear, replace them ASAP. I wanna see ya around longer then a few more passes down the strip.

PoopDawg said:
Nick.. If you're running slicks, you REALLY need to replace the stock wheel studs with long, Moroso or similar hardened studs. It's just unsafe. You're going to end up sheering off all the studs one night at OSW and going straight into the wall. The studs are cheap, and any shop can install them for a few bucks. If the stock studs are already showing wear, replace them ASAP. I wanna see ya around longer then a few more passes down the strip.

Yea I was gonna get ARP studs. I guess ill do that next paycheck and ill take it easy, its starting to make the noise bad now during braking, and still during right tunrs only. Its just like a loud clapping sound. Some of the studs arent straight and I know one for sure is stripped, ill have the car checked out by someone and ill get arp studs.

nah its not the tire...It could be something in the brakes, I think its something in the rear end, its not ujoints, theres no vibrations or anything and its coming from the rear passenger rim ONLY. And theres nothing stuck under there its coming from inside the rear end.

sadly enough I can relate to this problem the funny thing was in my case I snapped the passenger side mount for the front sway bar and the bushing fell out so it would slap when turning. Kinda weird took me a while to find it but yeah thats what it was on mine.

Mavrick said:
Make sure your driveshaft is not rubbing on your exhaust during right hand turns..

Ill check to make sure my exhuast is tight, funny thing is I bearly have an exhaust, looks like this,

1002037ip6.jpg

and their are hangers but ill check to make sure its not moving around, and xtrock, I just put my swaybar back on yesterday I havent been running for a few months now, but i know what your saying ill keep looking around to see if I can see something, I still think its something internal I cant see. Im going to be ordering wheels studs next week, I know their only 20 bucks but I cant spend any money till then, I have to get new end links for my sway bar too :bang:

Attachments

• 1002037ip6.jpg
    1002037ip6.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 52