Classic Mustang Exhaust

• Sponsors (?)

i had the 65 style shelby side exhaust from tony branda.....glasspack style mufflers and all the piping for like...$300...it sounded like a harley until i cut off the sidepipes...there was too much backpressure(2 1/4" dia). they sounded real nice...resonated ALOT, and screamed at 6000 rpm. its loud because its by your ear...and it if it resonates at all...you will definitely notice it. when i get another 67 im going to figure out how to run side exit with midas mufflers...the meanest mufflers ive ever heard.

gonen60stang said:
What is the best sounding exhaust for a 289? I want side exhaust, does anyone have any input on the sound of side exhaust.? thanks.
my friend had some on a 68 and it was pretty annoying imo... very loud inside the cab

*i should clarify, the pipe exited from the side (in front of the rear wheels)
the po had it like that and i didnt care for the sound of it
my friend said he liked it, but when he got the exhaust redone, the tailpipes came out at the back!

I prefer a single, all the way to the back. One almost straight thru muffler and a resonator. :nice:

If you are determined to go side-exhaust I recall seeing a setup recently that had the inlet and the outlet of the muffler facing forward (I think it was in M&F) Makes it much easier in the plumbing department...

Set up right, side -exit does NOT have to be annoying. I'm running Dynomax Super Turbos - nice burble at idle, QUIET at cruise, and ROARS when you get into it. There's some video clips on my webpage if you want to hear it. You can buy the mufflers at Summit for $49 each - WLK-17676 is the 2.5". :nice:

The old glasspack/straight thru setup? Bring earplugs! :notnice:
28897225-7cc8-02000180-.jpg