cleaning iac?

bluextc

Feb 12, 2006
South Jersey
Having an issue with idling, doesn't happen all the time, but when I'm idling, sometimes rpms will shoot up to about 12 or 1300, then drop down to about 800, then back up and down, I'm thinking maybe the iac just needs to be cleaned. Just wondering what to use to clean it?
Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

Id get some TB/sensor safe cleaner. I used it and it worked good, its better for parts that have electronics attached to them as carb shot may ruin them.

You can pull just the IAC, or you can pull the whole plenum and clean it. Mine was naaaaasty with around 96k on it.

BurningRubber said:
Id get some TB/sensor safe cleaner. I used it and it worked good, its better for parts that have electronics attached to them as carb shot may ruin them.

You can pull just the IAC, or you can pull the whole plenum and clean it. Mine was naaaaasty with around 96k on it.

Wha chu mean by "TB/sensor safe cleaner"? Like electrical cleaner?

I prefer this for cleaning electrics http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/340186.asp
340186.jpg

DTNODYA said:
Wha chu mean by "TB/sensor safe cleaner"? Like electrical cleaner?

Guess I should have reworded... lol.

Electrical parts safe Throttle Body cleaner. It does the same thing as carb cleaner, it just doesnt tear up electrical parts like carb cleaner can. The can should say Throttle Body and/or Carb cleaner safe for electrical parts.

the98stang said:
Cleaning it is just a patch. Buy a new one...they're like $50 at autozone or Kragen.:nice:
Gonna do the patch for now, husband just dished out $ for the new tb and plenum, and wasn't thrilled when I ran out to buy a new tps (and that was only like $25). I'll wait about a month and then replace it :D

bluextc said:
Gonna do the patch for now, husband just dished out $ for the new tb and plenum, and wasn't thrilled when I ran out to buy a new tps (and that was only like $25). I'll wait about a month and then replace it :D

woah woah, hold the phones - I thought your Mustang spending was cut off for the rest of the year!? Someone knows how to get what she wants apparently :p

stangGT97 said:
woah woah, hold the phones - I thought your Mustang spending was cut off for the rest of the year!? Someone knows how to get what she wants apparently :p
No no no, the spending was to be cut off AFTER the tb/plenum. That was the deal he made me.
But then I ordered new pinstripes and third brake light cover (it says Bluextc on it). And I just got done telling him a couple minutes ago I need the new IAC cause mine is broken, and it's embarrassing sitting at a red light and having it sound like I keep revving the engine :D

bluextc said:
No no no, the spending was to be cut off AFTER the tb/plenum. That was the deal he made me.
But then I ordered new pinstripes and third brake light cover (it says Bluextc on it). And I just got done telling him a couple minutes ago I need the new IAC cause mine is broken, and it's embarrassing sitting at a red light and having it sound like I keep revving the engine :D

find a new man, $25 bucks... are u kidding me...

BLUE03GT said:
find a new man, $25 bucks... are u kidding me...
Nope, he's a keeper. Was annoyed about the $25 because everything in that signature was bought since December, plus new tires, (although the tires were my birthday present and the remote starter was a Christmas present) and he made me promise to stop modding the car until next August if I got the tb and plenum, and then right away I had to run out and get something else.
He just thinks I spend too much time and money on the car :p