Clutch Cable Going South?

blurry

Mar 20, 2006
Maryland
Clutch Cable Going South? *Update, Snapped*

I have a Forte's clutch quadrant and fire wall adjuster. I always have to keep tightening the cable to make it easier to shift. Is this a sign of the clutch cable going out (being stretched to far) or something else? Once the cable is adjusted, it shifts fine, but over time, it will get harder and harder, and the clutch engages lower and lower (closer to the floor).

• Sponsors (?)

I'd also ask how often you have to adjust the cable and if your FWA adjuster locks out.

Improper cable routing and a cheap cable can lead to issues of stretching and rough pedal travel when the car is hot.

Good luck.

Right after I install a new one I normally have to adjust it within a week. Then maybe another time after a few more months. If you think it may be going out I would buy one and keep it around. It was tough when mine snapped both starting and driving without the clutch to get it home. You'd probably want to avoid that or an expensive tow :p

I dont adjust it much, maybe once a week. I have to sit in rushhour traffic in the morning. The FWA does not lock up, I donno how much further it has to go though. Ive checked the cable from inside the car and it looks to be okay.

The FWA not having a locknut/setscrew is an issue in my book. Put a sharpie marker dot at 12 o'clock when you have it adjusted properly. Then see if over the week the dot moves. If so, the FWA needs a means of locking.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
The FWA not having a locknut/setscrew is an issue in my book. Put a sharpie marker dot at 12 o'clock when you have it adjusted properly. Then see if over the week the dot moves. If so, the FWA needs a means of locking.

Good luck.
Awesome, tomorrow I'll put it on and see what happens. I never really have noticed if it the FWA would just loosen up over time or if its the cable stretching.

Just like I thought it would, the clutch cable snapped on me last night. I was sitting in a parking lot, pressed the clutch in to turn it on and SNAP. It broke at the quadrant.

This time, its getting a Ford cable.