Clutch going bad??

hobbes80

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2002
Northern Virginia
After reaching operating temperature, whenever I sit at a light with the clutch fully depressed, I hear a sound that sounds like a slipping belt. By letting out the clutch, the noise goes away.

When it first popped up, it was raining and I figured it was just the accessories belt, because it would shutup whenever I touched the gas. Then it started doing it when it was dry out. Regardless of whether the A/C is on, or the Fan is on, or anything, it makes the whiring sound. It's louder than the S/C at this point. When the clutch is out, it makes no noise, only when I push the pedal down, doesn't even have to be all the way to the floor. The pitch changes as I move the clutch, it ONLY makes the noise at operating temperature and at idle. as soon as the rpms come up, it goes away, but then comes back when it rests back at idle.

One of my friends thinks it might be the throwout bearing... you guys have any ideas? One way or another, I foresee myself picking up a new clutch, bearing, flywheel, and some other toys if I'm going to be taking the dang thing apart anyways...

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

2001Saleen181 said:
And your mods will not void out your warranty for the throw out bearing.

They can not prove that your mods caused your throw out bearing to fail.
A s/c won't affect the TOB? I figured I voided the whole driveline when I got it.....
I guess it is worth a shot, but from what I've read through search, a replaced TOB will eventually squeal like a lil' bi**h on me too, right?

Anyone know a good dealer in Northern VA to have this done? the Koons on route 7 is not an option... the last time I went there for something minor I caught one of their mechanics hot-rodding around the parking lot in my car.