Clutch help

mat82284

Jul 31, 2003
ok i installed my new clutch cable all went well but the problem i had didnt go away i have been having problems wile i drive the cluch works nice around 2000rpms and below but when i try to shift after 2000rpms its exremely hard to shift and im guessing now its my cluch but the problem im having doesnt seem like it could be the clutch i mean when a clutch goes out it tends to not grab but mine is grabing and wont let go when ever i try to race and i shift at 5000rpms i have to wait about 5 seconds before i can shift and i also have to pull really hard i asked this before you guys said it was my cable and i just got a bran new one and its not that but what else could it be? and whats the average price on a king cobra clutch?

• Sponsors (?)

Your clutch isnt releasing like it should when you push down on the pedal. That would come from a stretches out cable, but since you replaced it, the quadrant is most likely out of adjustment. I went through the same thing when I put my new FMS HD clutch in. The old cable was so stretched out that the quadrant couldnt adjust far enough and I had to push the pedal to the floor to even shift, and even that was tough. New cable, adjusted the quad, no probs so far.

Mat, i know there are some coherant thoughts in there somewhere, but i honestly can't figure out what you are saying. your first punctuation was on the last line. the last sentence is perfect. i would like to try to help, but i cant. please clean it up or send me your Captain Marvel decoder ring so i can read this.
sorry man, thanks.

let me try to ask things i dont think you covered. how much freeplay is there in the cable? how far off the floor is the pedal when the clutch engages and disengages?

the clutch either disengages or doesnt; it is not really rpm dependant. this sounds more like your synchros. if you match revs, does it shift more kindly?
i would still bet on point of engagement.

sounds good but i tried to ajust the quadrents but i dont know how i was able to make it move back to pull cable off and put on but as for ajustment not shure i do know that the pedel is stiff now and i still have to push all the way back to shift and its a hard shift how do you ajust it

mat, i have the same stiff pedal you do. use your hand to check it. you will feel the initial stiffness, but then it will get stiffer all of a sudden, as you compress the pressure plate fingers. you can tell. just do it a few times.
also, like i said, where is the point of engagement? right on the floor? if so, this suggests you need to dial in some more preload.
good luck.

mat82284 said:
yea ingagement is right at the floor but couldnt it be my clutch need replaceing? alsi its really stiff seems like it cant be ajusted anymore
what kind of cable did you get, adjustable or non adjustable (oem cable)?

if its oem, you need a firewall adjuster to get it right. the stock quadrant was marginal when new. i would highly recommend replacing it. esp since your pedal is so stiff. you are gonna kill it soon.
the push pull thing never worked great, esp on older worn out quadrants. that is one reason everyone gets new quadrants (aftermarket).

here is the logic. if the clutch itself is worn, you should be able to adjust your pedal so it isnt on the floor. being on the floor is normal for a brand new fat clutch disc.

i would get a quadrant and firewall adjuster (if you have a stock, non adjustable cable). install them, dial it in, and see where you are. if you have an adjustable cable, just get a quadrant.

that is my take. good luck.

I think your car is doing what mine was doing recently. I installed a new clutch and new cable. It was a different clutch, with a different feel, so it took a little while for me to get used to the difference. After a few weeks, it seemed to get like what you're describing.... it would release right off the floor and was hard to get into gear sometimes and I would miss the shift, in any gear. I had to jam the pedal into the floor to even get it to shift into gear at all. I already had the UPR adjustable quadrant and firewall adjuster, so I dialed the firewall adjuster outward and tightened up the cable. Now it realeases where it should and shifts like a dream.
My opinion... you absolutely need an adjustable quadrant and firewall adjuster. Or if nothing else, the firewall adjuster.
Good luck with it!