Clutch or Tranny?

Wondering if someone could help me determine what my problem is.
Driving home from work today I heard a noise coming from the shifter (was in 5th), I reached down grabbed the shifter and it pulled out of gear while clutch was engaged. I thought maybe I just didn't have it in gear fully, so I put it back in, released the clutch and tried to pull it out, and again it pulled out of gear without depressing the clutch (also tried in 3rd, same result). I think it's probably the clutch since my throw out bearing has been making noise off and on for a little while now. So, like I said, I am assuming I just need to throw a new clutch on it, but wanted to ask to be sure.

Here's my set-up:
Early '01 GT w/ T45
Stock clutch
Tri-Ax shifter (installed about 3 weeks ago)

I would appreciate the input!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I know you can pull it out of gear without any clutch, but there's something else there. Like I said, it was making noise like it was trying to work itself out of gear. I'm wondering if maybe it could be the shifter I just installed. Maybe I need to adjust the stop on the top side since it was pulling out of 5th and 3rd so easily (didn't check any of the gears at the bottom of the pattern). But, I don't know if that would be it, I've had the shifter in for a few weeks and the problem is just now surfacing.

I had my 3650 rebuilt and it sounds louder now than before with my shifter. It sounds like loose metal chunks vibrating around in the tranny? I've just accepted it and when this one goes out Im going 6-speed.

I had my 3650 rebuilt and it sounds louder now than before with my shifter. It sounds like loose metal chunks vibrating around in the tranny? I've just accepted it and when this one goes out Im going 6-speed.

I know that sound,back in march I had a t45 rebuilt in my old gt and 3rd had a slight wine to it but then there was the other noise you described.I took it back to them the same week,and they had to pull it apart again and had to do something because of the wine,when I got it back the wine was gone but so was the chunks vibrating sound.

And I would for sure check the stops,if they are to far out it could damage the tranny,On my tri ax I use a small drop of lock tite cause one of the stops would loosen up,not now.

I would try adjusting the stops on the tri-ax. That would be the first thing. Could be as small as that I have ridden in this car and I don't feel that the tranny is in bad shape at all.

BTW...Thanks for getting that virus off my computer David.