Clutch Problems...

Andrew Larsen

Jul 18, 2015
1991 foxbody mustang LX 5.0

Here is the basic premise of my problem. I let a kid drive my car, he red lined the RPMs on a hill with the clutch half way out of 2 seconds. There was alot of clutch smell. After that when I would release the clutch the car would just instantly stall. There was no creeping. The car won't go forward unless I rev'd it out to 1.5k and release the clutch. Once I hit the biting point the rpms would shoot down to 600 rpms then catch again and release normally.Its very strange. So I figured my clutch was bad as a result of this idiot driving my car.

So I replaced the clutch my self. All new bearings, seals, pressure plate, clutch,resurfaced the flywheel ect.
The new clutch works and isn't slipping or anything, but its doing the same thing. The clutch releases super fast in the engagement point. I have to give it a lot of gas to not stall. The point of where it engages in the pedal throw is good (about 2 inches off the ground) but, the actual engagement period is very short.

What do you think could be my problem? Im having a hard time figuring it out my self because its difficult to word properly and find people with a similar problem.

Thanks, I appreciate any input!

• Sponsors (?)