CMCV delete plates?

Memphis Raines

Founding Member
Nov 9, 2000
Monroe, NC
Okay, I have a couple dumb questions since I'm relatively new to S197s and this mod:

1.) What exactly is it that these things do to increase HP?

2.) How difficult are they to install?

3.) What would be the bare minimum you'd suggest someone have done to an otherwise stock motor before doing this mod?

4.) What is the typical cost for this mod?

• Sponsors (?)

I hope this helps.

1. The factory plates have an electric motor which controls a butterfly valve, the CMCV Delete Plates remove the electric motor and do not have butterflies. So in turn they flow better.
  2. It's easy. Just pull fuel rails and everything else to get the intake manifold off. Once it's off you unbolt the plates from the bottom and remove the motor. Install the new CMCV delete plates and reinstall everything.
  3. I'd say you need to have a tune and cold air intake. I'd also recommend UDPs. The CMCV delete plates will need to be tuned for so keep that in mind. I really recommend Justin at VMP Tuning. Justin did some extensive testing on the CMCV delete plates. A lot of people were going around saying they reduced torque and caused a decrease in gas mileage. Justin proved that myth to be false and both are only a result of poor tuning.
  4. Steeda CMCV delete plates are ~$150. A tune usually is around $60.

Thanks for the replies guys. What I was thinking of doing with our GT/CS power-wise is:

CAI & tune (not sure which one yet. Probably C&L)
axle-back (probably GTA's)
UDP's (again, not sure which ones. Probably Steeda?)
maybe the new C&L intake manifold

Would the CMCV delete plates make sense with that list of mods?
Would it be a waste if I didn't do LT's? I don't really want LT's.
If I did decide to do a full exhaust, would shorty headers be a good option?
Who makes a catted H-pipe anymore? I can't find one for S197s.
Should I "upgrade" the full length of the exhaust to 2.5" in diameter instead of keeping with the stock 2.25"?

Sorry for the questions. Just want to make sure I start off on the right path. Like I said in my original message, I'm new to S197 modding. I do realize that the exhaust on these is much better than the SN95's so I won't gain as much HP as I was familiar with.

Got it. Thanks for the input. I'm starting to get a clearer idea of what I'd like to eventually do.

Here's another question. Regarding ported and polished heads, with the mods I've listed, would they make sense? I would NOT be interested in eventually go with a supercharger or nitrous set-up. I would want to keep the car N-A. I don't see myself changing my mind on that at all, largely due to cost. But that's not the only reason.

Anyways, if ported and polished heads are a reasonable idea, should I have the stock heads done or should I look at an aftermarket set? I don't see myself getting cams or anything more "major" than the intake manifold or maybe better flowing heads.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that either LT headers and delete plates need each other. They will each have respectable gains, one just tends to compliment the other. Though if you get the C&L intake manifold then you wouldn't need the delete plates (doesn't use them). Also, I don't believe shorty headers have shown much if any real gain over the stock manifolds.

As for P&P heads, I would definitely do cams at the same time. The combo of both has shown some real promise, I've heard of gains in the 50-70 rwhp range. And if you're removing the heads installing LT's is a snap, if that's what is keeping you from wanting them.
Dan

if youre going to to do all that youve listed you might as well do longtubes too. I wouldnt do heads and cam till i had all the boltons then do those and put it on the dyno to get it dialed in.....get the boltons out of the way then worry bout intake manifold and headwork