Cobra II Clone

I posted about this before, I am going to swap everything from my Cobra to my parts car. Anyways most of you suggested I also swap all the numbers too. Im curious where are all the numbers? So far I have the buck tag, the dash vin plate, and the door tags, which I am going to use the whole door. Anything else Im missing?

Thanks in adavnce,
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

1WildII said:
I posted about this before, I am going to swap everything from my Cobra to my parts car. Anyways most of you suggested I also swap all the numbers too. Im curious where are all the numbers? So far I have the buck tag, the dash vin plate, and the door tags, which I am going to use the whole door. Anything else Im missing?

Thanks in adavnce,
Chris

Swapping parts for functionality is acceptable.

But swapping vin # and buck tags to show originality is unethical and probably illegal :nonono:

actually Im not doing it for authenticity, I need to do it because my Mach 1 is a parts car and didnt come with a title, and I do not know how to get one. Swapping the numbers wasnt even my idea... http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=462498

Im going to go talk to the guy I bought the parts car from and see if he knows who the registered owner is... swapping numbers is a plan B.

You could say it is for funtionality because I just want to be able to legally drive it, and If the numbers stay the same I cant get tabs/insurance or anything since im not registered owner, and if I get caught driving that around then there will be a fine to pay.

Im not planning on selling the car, and if I do I will tell anyone interested what has been done, Im more honest than that.

Chris

I guess the fenders have the vin too, but it's not unusual to replace fenders on a car that old.

BTW, I don't see a problem with what you are doing at all. If you convert enough parts from one to the other, where do they draw the line anyway? It's not like one's stolen.

You could say the frame, but what if you had two cars, stripped to the frame with parts scattered everywhere. You then used the best parts to complete one restoration project and scrapped/sold the rest. Would it really matter which one got which dash pad to match the title? :shrug:

I have to agree, both cars are legit, and it will take the 2 of them to make 1 cool car, so it really doesnt matter which one gets the numbers. All I want is a nice car to drive instead of a rust bucket... The Mach 1 right now is nothing, its stipped down so far Lee Iacocca wouldnt even recognize it, and all the parts going on it are from the Cobra. I dont know why it would matter since I'm doing it to drive, not to make a profit.

Chris

The fenders aren't marked with a number but underneath the front fenders on each side is a plate that is welded to the upper rails. This plate is stamped with the consecutive unit # (last 6 digits of your VIN).....not easy to swap over. Not sure about the 302 or V6 cars, but on my 2.3 car the block is also stamped with the consecutive unit. I'm sure there are other places, might want to ask a MCA judge (IF they divulge this info, I know the police don't as it's one of the ways they confirm "chop shop" cars)

I think I'll just swap the license plates, dash, buck tag and driver's door. Thats all I really need to get the car so I can drive it on the street. On a side note I got the engine bay painted today, turned out really good, tommarow I am going to start swapping parts from the Cobra. Soon as I drop in the 302 I'll get some pictures on here, should turn out nice.

Chris