Cobra IRS

• Sponsors (?)

Do a search, there was one pretty big thread on it.
Biggest problem with an IRS is that sticky tires break the axles, and level 5 axles are $1600 a pair, ouch.

Do a search, there was one pretty big thread on it.
Biggest problem with an IRS is that sticky tires break the axles, and level 5 axles are $1600 a pair, ouch.

Wow, that sucks . . . . I suppose now the questions is, would I be better off spending all that money on awesome coilovers, panhard bar, etc. etc., or would a built IRS rear-end have more potential? enough to matter on the street as well as the track (track-days are going to be a rare luxury for me I think, at least until I finish school)

Wow, that sucks . . . . I suppose now the questions is, would I be better off spending all that money on awesome coilovers, panhard bar, etc. etc., or would a built IRS rear-end have more potential? enough to matter on the street as well as the track (track-days are going to be a rare luxury for me I think, at least until I finish school)

From what I have read the IRS handles well in stock base form, but most people prefer the TA/Panhard setup over it

BTW coil overs will be needed for handeling on either setup

Solid rears are just as good any day as an IRS.
The only spot where an irs shines is when cornering and going over bumps at the same time.

I really don't think coil overs are needed, just good springs and shocks. Just keep in mind if you plan to use a torque arm, you need a difference set of springs for at least the rear.

Me personally i feel due to axle cost, the solid is the way to go.

Solid rears are just as good any day as an IRS.
The only spot where an irs shines is when cornering and going over bumps at the same time.

I really don't think coil overs are needed, just good springs and shocks. Just keep in mind if you plan to use a torque arm, you need a difference set of springs for at least the rear.

Me personally i feel due to axle cost, the solid is the way to go.

I agree with axle, not so much with the good springs thing, coil overs place the weight distribution further towards the outside of the car, they allow you to lower the center of gravity more and as far as ease of changing spring to coil over springs there is no comparison, plus coil overs look cool :D

I agree with axle, not so much with the good springs thing, coil overs place the weight distribution further towards the outside of the car, they allow you to lower the center of gravity more and as far as ease of changing spring to coil over springs there is no comparison, plus coil overs look cool :D

They also interfere with tire clearances up front (sometimes depending on rims and tires) and wear out extremely quick when used on the street for a car that sees decent usage. You can't expect a spring half the size to wear the same.

I wouldn't go as far as to say i don't like them, i just don't put them on the priority list as far as handling goes.
I do like the idea of popping them in and out at will extremely easy.

They also interfere with tire clearances up front (sometimes depending on rims and tires) and wear out extremely quick when used on the street for a car that sees decent usage. You can't expect a spring half the size to wear the same.

I wouldn't go as far as to say i don't like them, i just don't put them on the priority list as far as handling goes.
I do like the idea of popping them in and out at will extremely easy.

your gonna have clearance issues up front no matter what if you wanna run a decent sized tire, im running 275 up front, yes took some modification to fit, but the whole car took some modification and i dont think ive ever heard of a coil over spring failing before a regular spring