COIL OVER PROBLEMS?

dankushead

Banned
Jan 9, 2008
Just finished installing Bilstein coild overs last week and am now hearing a click when I turn the wheel. It sounds like something could be rubbing with the brakes or brake plates, I wouldnt think that It would be something loose becuase I tightened everything up pretty well.

I actually noticed the problem after I got an alignment. The car is also sitting very low, lower than when my super sport srpings were there. So could it be the height of the car, either way Im going to go down there later today, raise the car a bit and look at everything. Anybody hear of any problems with coild over before, I have the maximum motorsports kit with bilsteins. Thanks in advance.

IM ONLY HEARING IT ON THE LEFT SIDE.

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii192/dankushead/

• Sponsors (?)

i have same setup but never heard a click.. can u describe the sound more, is it a constant clicking? did u check for clearance to ur brake line? u said that the car is really low, but ur bottom spring perch in those pics seems like its pretty high, is that how the car is sitting now? how big of a gap between the tire and the fender? i have a gap thats about an inch maybe a tiny bit more, but i know that any more would be too low... ur strut also seems like its not coming out very far from above the tower.. the top spring perch assembly is supposed to be very close to the bottom cc plate.. i believe its supposed to be like a quarter of an inch or so.. how many spacers did u put on top of the upper spring perch assembly?
since it happens when u turn the steering wheel, did u be sure to put in all the parts into the upper spring perch assembly and put in enough grease?
i would also be sure to check the lines that might be getting in the way..
keep us posted!

Well one thing I did wrong, but I dont think it would make a difference was that I actually installed the bumpstops that came with the caster camber plates. I later read that these arent NEEDED fo the bilstein setup, but the way I put the spacers on there only gave the bumpstop less than 1/4" higher than the spacer below it. So i pretty much ran spacers through the entire bumpstop. Like i said, i doubt that caused any problems with the clicking at least, maybe it did affect the alignment though. Also I def put enough grease on the upper perch, I didnt miss any parts. Everything I touched during installation was returned to the same way I found it, to the best of my knowledge. The click is mainly when I turn the wheel all the way left or all the way right, it only happens on the left side, and it is a loud single click, almost like a bang. Kinda sounds like the plate that goes behind the brake rotor that is made from sheet metal or whatever it is, sounds like it could be getting caught on something, then it might be letting go and therefore causes the click or clank type sound. Anyways, I'll be checking out the car tomorrow, raise the llower perch a bit to raise the car, just in case it is too low, and I'll look at the lines. Hopefully I didnt over look anything, and everything should be fine.

A mustang shop near my house had told me that the springs iwll rub against the threaded sleeve from time to time, although I cant imagine it creating that type of noise. So I doubt that could be it, and I doubt that would cause any damage, anyways, any info to help me out would be great. THANKS.

i am not sure what else to reccommend but, u can start by calling mm and ask them if they know what the noise can be, and ask them the ramifications of the bumpstop being in their.. they r very helpfull and should know.. some people forget about this because some companies are useless in terms of help with these issues but mm is great in this aspect..

Don't worry about having left the bumpstops in; it would not have caused any damage.

Have you had someone sit in the car and turn the wheel from lock to lock for you while you look in the wheel well for problems, specifically tire to spring clearance? If you don't clear, MM will tell you to get a wheel spacer.

Also, unrelated, sound could maybe be a loose steering rack?

Good Luck