Coil Packs

mijo_latino

Apr 16, 2004
Canton, Michigan
Car was missing and rough riding. Finally decided to buya mutli-voltmeter and start testing stuff form the Haynes manuel.
Tackled the coil packs first and look what i found.
(for 96-98)
Range for primary resistence
.3 to 1.0 ohms
I got .05 ohms
Range for secondary resistence
6.5 to 11.5 K-ohms
I got 14.0 K-ohms

Wierd thing is that they were both reading identical. Maybe they're not bad? i dunno.
Being that they're out of range, decided and went to Autozone and got these Well's brand for $40 each.
Cheap i thought. Am i doing a mistake by gong with these? don't have much mods, car has 111189 mies on it.
Ill post again and tell if it fixed the problem.

• Sponsors (?)

thier are different ways you can test voltage, it is a multi meter with mutible testing ranges. your engine will last you 200K+ I suggest you replace them and test it again. if it shows the same then just return them to autozone.

Fixed! For now

i changed them out. before i did i tested the new coils packs and i found them to be similar in resistence levels... how very odd. Noticeable difference in primary resistence( ~13.0 oppsed to 14) but the other wasn't much. No idea how these things work. Can anyone explain it to me?

Well since i just bought them and was disappointed that i just blew $80 on an other senser/gizmo that may not of been the problem, decided to just give it a go and put them in. Turns out this solved the rough idle and the misfire and the lagging rpms etce etc. Tested the car on the "street ciruit" here and all the problems i had disappeared for now.

My advise to all those with idle/hesitation problems, check your coil packs.. How i don't know but you can always take them back for a refund if their not the problem!

On an other note, when i was having the probs. the check engine light blinked at me sometimes. Read in a thread here that it could be your cats? This ture?