coilovers and 17x9 wheels?

jmd2914

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Napa, California
ok im running MM coilovers with a svo five lug swap and 16x7 wheels, and im running alittle short on clearance....i really have no idea how given that the wheel isnt all that wide. now im planning on switching to mach1 front brakes and a sn95 rear end. will 17x9 fr500's clear the coilovers with the new swap?? just wanna make sure before i start buyin stuff

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on the offset of the rim?

If the FR500 have the same 24mm offset that the cobra R's have. Then you should be good. I run those rims with 96+ spindles and MM coilovers and have about 1/8 of clearance between the spring and rim.

Now the rear end is going to be a different story.

why is the rear end a different story?

Well, I assume this is for a fox body mustang and you do know that SN cars have a wider track. The rear end housing is the same length, but the axles are .75 longer, per side. So the rear track is 1.5 wider then the fox body.

I did my 5 lug conversion 6 or 7 years ago and used SN stuff. Well I had to trim the quarter wheel lip right off. Of coarse I did this before paint, but I had to do it, because of the rims I wanted to use. Chrome cobra R's(C58). I didn't know about Northrace car offset caliper brackets.

well, im running OEM 03 Cobras front and rear on MM coilovers front and rear.

I have no clearance issues to speak of, 03 cobras are 6.12" backspace, and most FR500s that i have seen are 5.95 backspace, so you shouldnt have any issues at all.

alright awesome, what five lug swap are you using? cuz right now with the svo five lug my rear axle is 1.5in longer than a stock fox so if i get a sn95 rear end it should bring it in .75in right?

That is correct. The SN axles are shorter then the SVO axles. But I think the SVO axles are 1.25 longer per axle, then the fox.

I have 2 stangs and I just did a five lug swap on my 1992 convertible.
I used Northrace cars rear kit that came with everything you need for the rear.
The axles are fox length 29 5/32 and are much stronger then stock. I think its over $700 but everything is brand new.

On my 87GT I used SN stuff. Moser SN axles, Bullitt calipers, and rotors. But I am changing the rear to Northrace car offset brackets and new Moser fox length axles so I can run 18X10 Saleen's.