Comp Cams

NPIGT

Nov 29, 2004
What type of Comp Cams would you suggest for a PI headswapped Car? And if any of you have comp cams where did you get them and at what kinda cost? thanks guys and gals!

• Sponsors (?)

If you can get the September 04 issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords. There is a great write up on all six of the comp cams. They say the xe262 would be the best choice for a daily driver n/a or if you have forced induction go with the xe274's. I have a 4.6 being assembled now at my speedshop :D that has forged pistons, new rings, bearings, rods........ Stage 2 PI heads from Heads up Performance, 30lb injectors and the xe278 cams :nice: . I am going to run a blower on the motor as well, so with the ported heads and the blower the 278's were the best choice for the maximum power from the combo. Custom tuning is required for me but if you go with the xe262's the Comp book says custom tuning is not required, but of course I would anyway I'm sure it will give a few extra ponies. :D Good luck

If you are looking for a Wild N/A cam, look at what Crower has to offer. As for the VT stg II's, I wouldn't want a cam with such a tight LSA as that one has.

I got my first set of Comp cams on a group purchase from somewhere that I don't remember. They were custom grinds spec'd out by Dennis Miles from Comp. I made 560 rwhp with them. I got my second set from Modular Powerhouse as part of my engine rebuild they did. They were spec'd out by Tim along with his race ported heads and larger valves. I made 660 rwhp with these. I recommend a set of custom Comp cams from MPH. :nice:

Alright, that sounds cool. I'll probably look into getting a set of custom cams then, but the VT Engine Stage II cams for some odd reason look pretty good. I've looked at the Stage III cams for a n/a application on Modular Performance home page, and they all seem to have a 113 lsa. Wouldn't a tighter lsa, like say "108" be better for a n/a application ? I know that is what VT Engine uses on theirs, and they make good power.

streetstang03 said:
are custom grind Comp Cams with these specs ok for a n/a daily driver?

Specs:

Duration:

Intake@50: 234

Exhaust@50: 242

Lobe Separation: 114 degree.

Valve Lift: 550.

RPM Range: 1800 to 6000 RPMs.
The lobe seperation seems fine for daily driving. The lift specified is 550, but is that for both the intake and exhuast ? If both the intake and exhuast have the same lift, it sounds like a blower cam. For a n/a application, you probably want a bit more on the exhuast side than the intake. The duration seems fine as well.

streetstang03 said:
are custom grind Comp Cams with these specs ok for a n/a daily driver?

Specs:

Duration:

Exhaust@50: 242

Lobe Separation: 114 degree.

Valve Lift: 550.

RPM Range: 1800 to 6000 RPMs.

Ummm, I would not pay extra for those specs. The Comp XE270AH is almost identical to those.

270 Specs:

Exhaust@50: 238

LSA: 113

Valve Lift: 550

Anyone have any good tech articles on learning more about cams for the 4.6ltr ? I'm going to come up with my own custom cam design for my application, and I think I need to know more about how the cams work on the 4.6.

Dark Knight GT said:
... I'm going to come up with my own custom cam design for my application, and I think I need to know more about how the cams work on the 4.6.

If had the need for custom cams I'd let the pros do the specs. Companies like 'Motor Machine & Supply' in Tucson Arizona use a master software program to calculate the best cam events for an application. Computations are based on many top-notch profiles developed by several of the major cam manufacturers, and the service is relatively inexpensive. As far as I know, most specs they do are for track cars and the results are highly reliable.

Nevertheless I'm ok with the specs on OTS Comp 270's :) .