confirmation, it's a neon!

• Sponsors (?)

No matter what you say. The dodge neon srt 4 sucks big balls. Its sure fast but compare it to a cobra. Since it is in the same range of souping up. But have you really compared interiors. The dash is the same size as a Camaro's. The seats are cheap ass vinyl, with crappy cloth. Hell even the shifter looks like painted plastic. It might be fast. But how many girls would want to get in a souped up neon with a big wing. Hell the Mustang GT is a sex symbol. Nothing better than a two door V8. Don't come to a Mustang forum and talk about how the neon is not so bad. The thing sucks is ugly and is disscontinued.

why are you comparing a pricey cobra to a car that cost less than a v6 mustang?

be more accurate, compare and find a stock ford focus that can hang with and beat stock gt's like a stock neon srt can. the svt focus won't keep up with a gt, but cost more than a srt - a nitrous saleen focus will keep up with a gt and maybe beat a stock srt, but cost way more than a srt and probably even more than the gt. and yes i compared interiors, when another mustang guy mentioned that the neon interior was probably nicer. remember, i owned a "premium" leathered gt and got sick of the all-the-same-bland-color-plastic interior, so after about 1 thousand $ later with steeda upgrades and an autometer cluster, i thought it looked pretty nice. and yes i was a bit surprised to find much nicer "viper" seats in a "p.o.s." neon with guage cluster that looked as nice as the autometer cluster already installed and door handles that looked very similar to the steeda handles that i installed on the mustang. and that "vinyl" feels oddly very similar to the leatherette in the stang...and the hd cloth will probably last longer, i'll just have to wait and see. and the metal shifter that "looks like painted plastic" ...as opposed to my mustang's looking like unpainted plastic? another steeda metal upgrade fixed that, and i think it helped the interior of the mustang look nice. and i didn't come here to start anything just to confirm what others, mustang owners, mentioned first about "230" being an underrated hp number. and i'm not quite sure why i'm not allowed to talk about experiences of owning a mustang that i had 40k invested in and owned for 4 years. i hope you're not going to try and stop me from buying another one (next generation mustang) just because i'm driving a srt/neon now. and as for the "Don't come to a Mustang forum and talk about how the neon is not so bad" chest puffing, hope you don't come down on the guys on the thread that said a few good things about them..even if their current ride is a mustang.

the only reason this thread is getting so heated is because some see the word neon and instantly go into troll bashing mode and read too much into a statement that is made. just to clear things up, i hope, i had a mustang and loved it and modded it with about 14k worth of mods and had a few problems with it. So what? i'm now driving a "p.o.s." neon srt that is and will continue get quite a few mods and i'm having pretty good luck with it. So? don't really like one more than the other - it's like comparing apples to oranges. probably why if you check my signature, you'll figure out that i'm not a mustang hater.

You laugh, but what about the MUSTANG owners?

How many people do you see all fired up they drive a "GTS"? Its not a GTS, its a GT with no options at all. You do not drive a Terminator, that was the concept car's name. You drive a Cobra. And where did this "new edge" come from? Walk into a dealer and order an 08 "New Edge" and they might bring you over to a used Edge pickup truck.

I am going to add my $0.02, I don't own a SRT-4 but I have a couple of friends that have them. Stock for Stock to a 99 - 04 GT, they are a driver's race with the SRT-4 having an advantage. A good driver with a 5 Spd GT will give a good driver in the SRT-4 all he can handle. That is going off of what I have seen 99 - 04 GT's and SRT-4's do at the track I go to.

The 05+ Mustang GT with a good driver will handle a SRT-4 pretty easily. One of my friends has ran my car( 05 Mustang GT ) twice at the track. Both times, he lost by more than a second. I have ran a few stock SRT-4's and a Stg 1, the closest one of those got was .38 in the 1/4 to me. That was the Stg 1 with slicks. I have ran a Stg 3 SRT 4 and lost to it.

Mods for mods, the 05+ Mustang GT is comparable. I know of 4 Stg 3 SRT-4's in SasKatchewan, Duece on the SRT forum board has the fastest Stg 3 SRT-4 at the track I go to. He has ran as a personal best 12.1, and last year's best was around 12.4. I have a friend with a 2006 Mustang GT that has ran 11.98 at that track with very few bolt on mods and he did it Naturally Aspirated.

What I have seen from the SRT-4 is that when shifted hard, the gear shift knob has come off. They have issues with spark plugs, of all the SRT-4's have I seen and talked to the owner, they are rather frequently fixing misfiring spark plugs, we are talking about 9 - 10 SRT-4's here, not just 1 or 2. Boost leaks are another common issue as well.

I don't bash or hate the SRT-4, but I do not think it is anything special.

I am going to add my $0.02, I don't own a SRT-4 but I have a couple of friends that have them. Stock for Stock to a 99 - 04 GT, they are a driver's race with the SRT-4 having an advantage. A good driver with a 5 Spd GT will give a good driver in the SRT-4 all he can handle. That is going off of what I have seen 99 - 04 GT's and SRT-4's do at the track I go to.

The 05+ Mustang GT with a good driver will handle a SRT-4 pretty easily. One of my friends has ran my car( 05 Mustang GT ) twice at the track. Both times, he lost by more than a second. I have ran a few stock SRT-4's and a Stg 1, the closest one of those got was .38 in the 1/4 to me. That was the Stg 1 with slicks. I have ran a Stg 3 SRT 4 and lost to it.

Mods for mods, the 05+ Mustang GT is comparable. I know of 4 Stg 3 SRT-4's in SasKatchewan, Duece on the SRT forum board has the fastest Stg 3 SRT-4 at the track I go to. He has ran as a personal best 12.1, and last year's best was around 12.4. I have a friend with a 2006 Mustang GT that has ran 11.98 at that track with very few bolt on mods and he did it Naturally Aspirated.

What I have seen from the SRT-4 is that when shifted hard, the gear shift knob has come off. They have issues with spark plugs, of all the SRT-4's have I seen and talked to the owner, they are rather frequently fixing misfiring spark plugs, we are talking about 9 - 10 SRT-4's here, not just 1 or 2. Boost leaks are another common issue as well.

I don't bash or hate the SRT-4, but I do not think it is anything special.

pretty sweet times on that bolt-on '06 GT. i noticed a lot of s3's, but no big turbo srt's? 12.1 is probably pretty decent for the small turbo/s3, but i've seen a s3 run a 11.560 and same car has trapped at 121.87 on all boost, no juice. times could reflect changes for high altitude? fastest i've seen for a big turbo srt with a stroker 2.6 was in the high 9's. back to the N/A, i planned on going maxed-out N/A with my next project mustang, but thought F/I would just be an easy way out. now that i've seen some really great 1/4 times from n/a '05+ mustangs, i'm not so sure now...but i'll still plan on going with boost. and you're right about misfire problems, it's usually #4 cylinder wire right above the turbo that gets cooked. high boost is also hard on the plugs. i'm running iridium plugs, 1200 degree wires and a heat shield so that should help. if you don't mind me asking, what mods does your friend have on his '06 to get into the 11's with just a few bolt-ons? :nice:

he's got that torque steer that pulls hard to left and TRACTION thing under control.. :rlaugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMH6ct6KATQ

:Track:

Srt-4 is a cool ass car if your 16yrs old other then that it blows. I have an 02 gt with full exhaust and suspension and i blew that little pos out of the water. He damn near hit the curb when it pulled so hard to the left because they have no traction whatsoever!!
Bump +1 for the Mustang!!!!!!!!! Not to mention the Mustang is waaaaaayyyyy SEXIER! POS 4 door grocery cart lookin ass with roll ups in the back! :Track:

Whats the most powerful stock shortblock SRT-4?

i think someone just hit 530 something on a untouched motor, from oil pan to valvecover. only time will tell how long it lasts, has to be a spot on tune past 500 to survive, same as say the 4g63.

drivers race between the 2.

230 is not rated at the wheel, but the crank. it may put out 230 at the wheels, which would make it underrated.

guess the guy saying 230hp out of an fi car isn't impressive, because there's really no "maximum engineering" out of it. like honda being able to squeeze 240 hp out of a 2.0. hp/liter wise would be impressive, if it was na. but us stock 2vers shouldn't really talk about efficiency :bang:.

if the GT has an awesome driver and the SRT4 one sucked then it would be close. Me and my buddy are comparable drivers but no matter how good i got him on the launch he would have pulled a car by the end of 3rd. ran a 13.8 @102 versus my 14.0 @100.5 at the track.

i have this buddy that is the biggest bull sh***er in the world, one day he came into school and told everyone he has a TT eclipse but when we would ask to go see it, he would say it was at the shop.......anyway he just bought one and he said it runs 12.4 and it is a quick car, had some gadgets i had no clue what they did.....he pressed this button that made the exhaust louder, what is that called?, and he said he has a button you push when you run high octane? lol that car is complicated but fast

i have this buddy that is the biggest bull sh***er in the world, one day he came into school and told everyone he has a TT eclipse but when we would ask to go see it, he would say it was at the shop.......anyway he just bought one and he said it runs 12.4 and it is a quick car, had some gadgets i had no clue what they did.....he pressed this button that made the exhaust louder, what is that called?, and he said he has a button you push when you run high octane? lol that car is complicated but fast

if i understand you, your friend bought a neon? making the exhaust louder would probably be an electronic cut-out that basically lets you run open exhaust right at the down pipe. the high octane was probably on a toys panel if it was a red button with a gas pump logo on it, probably had dial-a-boost switch and an intercooler sprayer controller switch on the panel also.

Kent's 2006 Mustang GT has:

CAI, CMCV Deletes, Electric water pump, Catted Long Tube Headers, axle back exhaust, SCT X-Cal 2 tune for 91 Octane, Short throw shifter, Aluminum 1 piece driveshaft, 4.30's, Non Adjustable LCA's, Non Adjustable UCA, Slicks and skinnies.

Back to the SRT-4's, one of the those 4 Stg 3 I mentioned earlier did have a big turbo. His best was 12.5 and claimed he had issues. He wrecked the car before he had a chance to correct them. I don't recall his name on the SRT forum board, I do know he didn't post he wrecked his car.

To whoever compared the SRT-4 Neon to a Cobra.. Please uninstall internet explorer.

This car costs less than 21k from the factory and will fly with the same amount of money needed to buy and install gears for the stang. I've seen an SRT-4 hit 300rwhp & rwtq on less than $300 of mods. Not putting down mustangs one bit, i'de keep my car before trading to a neon, but some of you need to really open your mind to the world of high performance cars.. We're all 1 in the same, maybe you could make some friends that way? I try to lay low and learn as much as possible about these cars, i'm a member of many differenct car sights too, srtforums being one of them, just to have a better understanding of cars. Just my $0.02.

if i understand you, your friend bought a neon? making the exhaust louder would probably be an electronic cut-out that basically lets you run open exhaust right at the down pipe. the high octane was probably on a toys panel if it was a red button with a gas pump logo on it, probably had dial-a-boost switch and an intercooler sprayer controller switch on the panel also.

yea he just bought an srt-4 thanks for helping me understand what he has lol, because i had no clue what them buttons were

I appologize if I hit a nerve, the intention of my post wasn't to do that at all but rather to say that we should look at this and all "fast" cars, with respect, and try to learn more. Just aside note, you're correct internet explorer cannot be uninstalled however it can be removed with 3rd party software. :nice:

Most of the people i roll with have srt-4's. they are quick cars. granted i wouldn't buy one..but they are so easy to mod. They put down 500 - 600 hp easy. Stock for stock its a drivers race. Ive beaten a bunch of em with my gt. I even gave one of them 2 cars and ended up beating him by 3. He switched drivers and we raced heads up and i barely got a car on him. So drivers race for sure.

You laugh, but what about the MUSTANG owners?

How many people do you see all fired up they drive a "GTS"? Its not a GTS, its a GT with no options at all. You do not drive a Terminator, that was the concept car's name. You drive a Cobra. And where did this "new edge" come from? Walk into a dealer and order an 08 "New Edge" and they might bring you over to a used Edge pickup truck.

You blew past the point, Some SRT-4 Neon guys on the srtforums (mainly moderators) deny that the SRT4 is still neon, people have been banned for calling it a neon on that forum. The thread starter has confirmed that the SRT is indeed a factual Neon

That doesn't happen here with GTS, Terminators, GT's, Cobra's, Mach 1's. We're not in denial, we all know we drive mustangs, mustangs with V8s :nice: