Confused about smog pump delete

Chronos[AsG]

Dec 20, 2003
NC
Ok it seems people are saying two different things in the posts about deleting the smog pump.

So I have two questions:
1) If I got an offroad h pipe and removed the smog pump and plugged all the lines would the check engine light come on?

2) Would doing any of this affect the functioning of the EGR system or otherwise cause the car to run poorly?

• Sponsors (?)

no it will not set off a check engine light unless you take off the egr. you could either leave the egr connected and just cap it off or you could get the car tuned and have it turned off.

No the check engine light won't come on, and it shouldn't affect driveability at all. Maybe you are confusing the EGR with the Smog.

"Ford's smog system reduces the hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide content of exhaust gases by allowing the combustion of unburned gases to continue after they leave the combustion chamber. The smog pump delivers secondary air to the exhaust system upstream of the catalysts, or the atmosphere. A bybass valve vents airflow from the pump to the atmosphere during cold start and full throttle operation. Air produced by the Smog pump is normally routed into either the converters or the rear of the heads by a pair of vacuum actuated solenoid valves. These normally closed valves respond to EEC computer signals to direct air for exhaust afterburning to the cylinder head exhaust ports or the catalysts."

The EGR and AIR system are unrelated. Most folks dont have any issue with removing the smog pump components, but occasionally someone reports an issue.

I'd leave EGR unless you are removing it for aesthetics and/or have a means to turn off the EGR fucntion in the computer.

1.) No.
2.) No.

Deleting smog WILL give you a code (or 2) ..... but it WILL NOT throw a "check engine light". That's where most confusion comes in.

The code(s) effect nothing (in my experiences).

EGR is irrelevant. Totally seperate thing.