Confusion about axles and c clips, for new 31 spline

NewToFord

Oct 7, 2008
CT
I am going to be upgrading my rear end. I am going to be buying the housing assembled from Ford racing with the 31 spline trac lok and gears. Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-4006-C373*]

My question is I know I have to buy 31 spline axles. I want to ditch the c clips because am going to drag race the car. Which axles do I buy, and which c clip eliminators do I buy? I want to run stock length axles. I talked to Ford racing today, and they told me I need to machine the housing for the c clip eliminators to fit? Is this true? thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

If you go with Strange Eng. C-clip eliminator kit, order the A1090 kit if you plan on doing mostly streets and strip use because you'll burn the low friction bearings from kit A1092 (drag racing only) pretty fast if you corner the car a lot. Believe me, I experienced this myself!:(

BE AWARE!!!

Just fould out the hard way that these A1090 c-clip eliminator kits from Strange wont fit on stock 31 axles... They only fit Strange 31 axles since the bearings and locking ring inner diameters are too big for stock axle:( Now, I either return the kit ($30 shipping fee) or I order Strange 4 lugs 31 axles but since I wanted to go for the 5 lugs conv. I'll just wait to have the dought and do this instead. Does anybody know if Moser's c-clip eliminator kit will fit after the Strange kit has been installed. Will the tube ends mod required for the Strange kit prevent the Moser kit from being installed properly? I'd like to install Moser's since I'm a little pissed at Strange because when I called them, I asked the tech guy if the A1090 would fit if I had the A1092 kit already installed in the car and he told me it would fit. It's partly my error because it says clearly on their Web site that the A1090 kit is ONLY for Strange axles.

How much racing do you plan to do, how much HP are you going to have? It would be best to go 9" bearing ends instead of c-clip elim, the 9" ends will never leak and it allows a stronger axles shaft since they do not taper down to fit the eliminator.....