considering buying a 96 - 98 cobra. opinions pls

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
hey guys-

thinking about parting with the 95 and looking into a 96/98 cobra. i would be looking for a 60k or less car. this would be a weekend driver and i would just put some 4.10s , exhaust and a lowering kit on it and enjoy.

how fun are these cars? ive never driven one. i know 305hp right out of the box so they must be fairly quick.

toss me some insight guys.

• Sponsors (?)

BennyBlown2v said:
True, but to buy a new car more $$.

not neccessarily. 96- 98 cobras with 60k or less can be had for $9500 - 11000.

a pushrod hci combo would have a better powerband, i agree to that.

the bumper doesnt do much for me. not much on cobra labeling if its not the real thing.

DropTopPony said:
or you could pick up a 94-95 Cobra and swap the stuff you have over...but a 96-98 Cobra isn't a bad platform at all. You could do worse for a weekend cruiser.

yea, course 94/95 cobras are getting hard to find but yea thats a thought

Maza4ever14 said:
if you have the cash, go for it, just take out the parts from you GT that can be swapped into the Cobra and your set.

aside from my post - how do u like your gt? the 99 up cars arent bad. with the given mods you have i would assume shes pretty quick.

slick car btw

I like my 96 cobra a lot, best mustang I have ever owned. Gears and exhaust are a great set of mods to start off. You could even just leave it like that and it will still be fun to drive. In the future you could put a blower on and make over 400rwhp with the stock engine, if you want to get even more serious build a forged shortblock and turn the boost up.