Convertible and sound systems: dynamat to stop rattle?

KStrike155

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Danbury, Connecticut
I have a 2001 GT Convertible with a 10" Alpine in the rear. On certain bass frequencies, the plastic thing where the top folds down into rattles. I'm not sure what kind of material it is, but I'm pretty sure it is plastic with carpeting on it. Could I use dynamat to keep it from rattling? If not, what would you recommend?

Thanks,
-Brian

• Sponsors (?)

I think I know what you are talking about...its the same material thats on the side of the trunk? If so, Ill tell ya what I did...I just took mine out. The only purpose of it is that you dont overstock your trunk to the point where the top cant come down. For example, if you fill up the trunk to 100% capacity (after taking out that panel) and then put the top down, one of two things is going to happen, it will break the top or whatever is in the trunk....depending on whats in the trunk. I ditched mine though cause it rattled like a bitch. I took out the side ones too....but for those, I went to home depot and got some grey carpet and put it up on the sides so that it looked stock. Heres a pic....

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/484000-484999/484771_116_full.jpg

Not the best pic, but you get the idea. On the left side of the pic you can see the black thing that hangs down, thats where the top goes...if you take off that plastic piece with the carpet on it...thats what will be behind it.

Adding dynamat just lower the resonate freq. Those certin nots are the resonite freq of that panel. Not a whole lot you can do that hasent been mentioned. It is like building in an earthquake. They shake because the earthquake it putting out the resonate freq of the buildings. usually around 5Hz