Converting a carbed 331 stroker to EFI?

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
How hard is this to do? I found the motor I want. Its pushing about 440 HP n/a with the three 2 barrel carbs. But I was thinking that maybe I could go EFI if it wasnt too much of a hassle. I know Ill have to change the timing cover, and a few pullies for the motor to even fit, but thats about it huh?

• Sponsors (?)

ProKiller said:
i would just slap it in as carb and call it a day if your going to buy it like that.
Well with the intake its about another grand. He paid like $1200 for the intake setup on eBay. I remember when he put it on. Man that thing was badass.

ProKiller said:
how much is the whole engine? you might be better off getting a long block from DSS or CHP
He wants like $2500-3000 for it. Im pretty sure I could build a good engine for that much. But with this I dont have to worry about it not working. I know the guy who has it. It was running fine when it came out of the Ranger.

And plus If I bought it from him, He would more than likely help me install it for free. And knowing him it would be running in under 3 days. When the 331 came out of the Ranger he put a 302 in and had that done in under a day.

The engine itself is the same, whether it's carbed or Fuel Injected. As long as your car is set up for FI, which it obviously is, you have no prob. However, you will need to buy matching injectors, lower and upper intakes, throttle body, MAFS, Fuel Pump, Fuel Regulator, and gaskets of course.

All the above adds up to a LOT of money, so you'd be looking at a $5,000 engine easily.

It sounds like that's a pretty good engine though.. For a 331 to put out 440 RWHP, it'd need some pretty heavily ported heads and intake, so I'm sure he's got quite a bit more $$ into it (a good head port/valvejob will run an easy 700-$1000.)