Engine Coolant Temp Guage And Fan Not Working

94coupe

15 Year Member
Oct 6, 2013
Calgary ab
recently I bought a 96 gt with 128,000km,i just replaced core support,everything works except my temp gauge and low fan speed,i replaced the sending unit aand still nothing.guage is dropped to 0...now when I unplug the sending unit and turn ac on the high speed fan comes on. plug the sensor in and it shuts off, there is also a mechanical gauge that's hooked up but doesn't read, checked both connections on the mechanical and they seem fine, I pulled the cluster out and everything seems fine to the eye. how can I test the sending unit with a multimeter?
is it in the cluster? can I put a toggle switch in? fusse is good please help its car season here and im behind.....
thanks in advance, I will be watching for responses
cheers-cam

• Sponsors (?)

As a reminder for the 1996-1998 model year there are two temperature sensors. One for the dash gauge and one for the PCM.

The two temperature sensors are NOT compatible to each other. So double check that the correct sensor was used in the correct location.

Since this problem began after replacing the radiator core support, I would suspect that you did not re-connect the CCRM ground. The CCRM Ground is on the front right side (passenger) radiator core support.

At the very least, measure the Ohms resistance from the CCRM black wires back to battery negative. Should be very low.

As a reminder for the 1996-1998 model year there are two temperature sensors. One for the dash gauge and one for the PCM.

The two temperature sensors are NOT compatible to each other. So double check that the correct sensor was used in the correct location.

Since this problem began after replacing the radiator core support, I would suspect that you did not re-connect the CCRM ground. The CCRM Ground is on the front right side (passenger) radiator core support.

At the very least, measure the Ohms resistance from the CCRM black wires back to battery negative. Should be very low.
Would the ground make only my temp guage not work?? I'll check for a missed ground or bad connection.
Check sensors and resistance and get back to u thanks