Coolant/Temp issues

RYC CUKR

Founding Member
May 19, 2002
Orlando
I just got my 88 notch and have resolved the multifunction switch problems and a few other little glitches but now I am having some probs with the coolant and temperature.

Here is the deal.

88 coupe, MAF converted, B cam, bypassed heater core, the rest is exhaust and gears.

Right now on the stock temp gauge, I know that they aren't that reliable but its all I have until I swap the stuff out of the 93, it will get half a notch above the half mark on the stock gauge and it starts boiling over. It spits the coolant into the overflow and it spits out of the overflow onto the ground. It will need a new radiator, it has 2 little pinhole leaks, but it seems very strange that it would boil over at that temp. Bad radiator cap maybe?????

I plan on changing the stock radiator out for a nice 2 core aluminum but was hoping to wait just a little while before I did that.

On a side note I ran a compression test on it. Car was warmed up, throttle blade propped open and here are the numbers

1 145 psi 4 165 psi
2 135 psi 5 155 psi
3 155 psi 6 155 psi
4 150 psi 8 160 psi

The numbers look ok to me. the 135 is a little low in comparison to the #4 cylinder. Anyone see any issues with these #s? At some point the nitrous kit from my 93 is going to be swapped onto the 88.

As always comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

I would go ahead and replace/fix the radiator problem now. That way you know that problem is resolved. On that low test # on the #2 hole, is it probable that some pressure may have got past your test equipment. May want to run rhe comp test one more time to make sure the numbers correct. I f they are, could be a head gasket problem on that hole.

Jim

And the cap does sound possible (each PSI in the system raises the effective boiling point ~3*F. 16 PSI = ~48*F higher boiling point).

You could be running a bit hotter than the gauge is letting on.

Good luck.

suscribing, also have a cooling problem, brand new head gaskets, edelbrock water pump, stock rad though. I am going to change the cap just in case. I seem to be loosing a little coolant here and there.

88gt said:
I would go ahead and replace/fix the radiator problem now. That way you know that problem is resolved. On that low test # on the #2 hole, is it probable that some pressure may have got past your test equipment. May want to run rhe comp test one more time to make sure the numbers correct. I f they are, could be a head gasket problem on that hole.

Jim

I ran it twice. Same results each time. I have a spare set of gaskets for a headswap at the home so at least its just time and I don't have to buy a bunch of gaskets. I probably will swap them out just to be safe. Its not like its really hard.

I am going to get a new cap put it on and see if it helps until the new radiator gets here. Its only a weekend car and not a DD so it shouldn't be a problem if it has to sit a few days.

'preciate the help.

Threw a new radiator cap on it and it helped out immensely. No more boiling over when the gauge is half a mark above halfway. In fact the temp stays right at around halfway unless I really get on it. This is with the A/C on as well.

Still gotta replace the radiator with an aluminum but hopefully this will buy me a little more time.

I am going to put my TFS intake on so I think that I will just pull the heads and reseal everything on the topend.