cooling

monkey420

Dec 19, 2007
k i have an 1986 gt, and i want to change the rad and fan, is it better to go to an eletric fan or what, any suggestions would be great, for mods its just got under drive pulleys and 1 5/8 equal length shorty headers and full exhaust

• Sponsors (?)

k i have an 1986 gt, and i want to change the rad and fan, is it better to go to an eletric fan or what, any suggestions would be great, for mods its just got under drive pulleys and 1 5/8 equal length shorty headers and full exhaust

I'd just make sure your stock fan is working correctly [like the clutch actuating at the right time] and no fins are broken/damaged. Beyond that, try to get an aluminum radiator or one that is higher capacity. Filling it up with engine ice or water wetter is also a good idea to increase efficiency, if you are in a colder climate the water wetter is not an antifreeze. Look here, there are some great discussions.

The alternator needs to be bigger. There are many benefits to an electric fan such as no belt to spin, better cooling capacity, etc.

Why are you changing those parts at all? Knowing that will probably help tailor replies.

Good luck.

I installed a 3 core aluminum ford racing rad. Very nice piece. Very happy with it. As far as electric fans I have a black magic. I think the black magic extreme would be a better fan since it flows more. A alt upgrade is a good idea.

im changing it cause my rad is done, last year on the way home from internationals, the car was running at 220, and on the way up it was running hot to, so i took the thermostat right out and that didn't even help, so thats why i was wondering if im changing the rad, if there is any advantages of going to a electric fan...