Coupe Is smoking... Some assistance please

admstng

Dec 12, 2003
Hey guys...

First off let me say this.. I smell gas when the car is sitting.. not very strong but i can def. smell it. 2)My car is leaking oil.. maybe a quart every week and 1/2, 2 weeks. everynow and then after revving high and then come to a stop my car will smoke from the hood? could this be vavle covers? the valve covers are dirty but it does not look like fresh/wet oil (if that makes sense) basically my question is what could be wrong. And if this helps answer my Q; the other day i was really getting on it in 2nd gear and i look in my rear view mirror and saw pillow of smoke, it looked like i blew somthing. i bottomed out the other day pretty bad and was also concerned that maybe that has somthing to do with this. As far as the smoke coming out when getting on it, it only happens sometimes? weird.. well sorry for long post, any help is really appriciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like it could be bad valve cover gaskets... the oil could be dripping onto the block/header primaries and burning. It doesn't take oil long to go from brown liquid to black tar-looking stuff once it's exposed to air and a hot surface.

Thanks for the repy.. I was thinking that as well.. But that day when i really got on it alot of smoke came out,I'm not sure if it was coing out from under tha car or from the tail pipes. the oil would have had to almost me squirting out to create all the smoke... is that possible? for the oil to be coming out of the covers that bad?

If the smoke was comming straight out of the back of the car like that it could also be your valve seals I had a similar issue with my 87 after it had been stored. The Valve seals where dried right up and I was burning oil that way every once in a while when you would really get on it PUFF!!! Biga$$ Cloud! I also agree with everyone else leaky valve Covers are a PITA!! Especialy when they are dripping on your headers!

I'm gonna get a compression test done b/c I burn 1qt. a week and black smoke will pour out the mufflers if I'm idling or idling then take off, then it stops once I get going. The guy I bought the stang from last year bolted on a powerdyne supercharger on a freshly rebuilt motor without any modifications, so I'm hoping it's just the valve seats. I don't know if I can rebuild the motor again if it's the rings?

J.R.