Cracked thermostat housing /easy to fix?

scstanger

Dec 3, 2003
I was stuck in traffic today and noticed my temp gauge go almost to red and when I got home saw that , what I think, is my thermostat housing is now cracked. I've been looking online and I think the thermostat housing is actually the part that sits on top the thermostat itself. The part which is cracked on my GT is where the thermostat sits inside of. It doesn't look like the block itself is cracked as coolant only looks to be coming out the side of that piece. If you go to this link, it's pictured in steps 8 & 9.

1) Is that piece easy to replace on my own? It looks like face up bolt on, but I can't tell.

2) If so, anyone know of a tech article on how to do it?

3) Roughly how much do you think it would cost of have a shop do it?

Thanks for your help
Scott

• Sponsors (?)

Just found out that that plastic part is connected to the intake manifold. I don't have the time of the tools to replace that entire thing. Not looking forward to the call from the shop to give the final $$$ amount.

Same thing happened to me. I replaced the upper intake manfold myself. It only took a few hours and not a whole of tools. Just a rachet set. You'll save yourself a fortune.

Not too hard to do. just go spend $200 on the new intake and about $100 on a Craftsman tool set. A few more bucks for an odd tool (like fuel line disconnects) and you will come out a whole lot cheaper.

You dont even need to disconnect the fuel rails from the fuel line just lift the whole thing up and out of the way. Change your plugs while your at it. Seriously, if you have a little know how and a little patience this is really easy. I marked the vacuum lines as i disconnected them so i knew where they went when i put it all back together.