Crap, Pinging

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
Philly
Well I was driving today and going WOT for no reason and I heard this rattling sound. Kind of sounded like tin bouncing around. I thought it was my tq converter because I think thats going out but then I realized that its pining. Before I realized that I did it like 5 times to see if I could hear it. So I guess im an idiot. Could I Have hurt anything?
Could it be my converter? Only on WOT, not during revving while stationary and it happens everytime WOT + 65.

Help!

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of RPM's were you at? At face value, it sounds like your are outrunning your fuel demand (clogged filter, weak pump, etc).

Good luck.

Could be pinging...what grade of fuel are you using?

Have you recently adjusted your timing?

It's hard to describe pinging...it sounds like marbles rattling in an empty can, maybe...

If you do decide it's pinging, first reset your timing to stock (if you've bumped it). Next, I'd check your MAF, as this seems to be THE number one cause of a lean condition on our 94-95s.

If the MAF checks out, check your fuel pressure. If your fuel pressure is low, report back and we'll help you from there.

****, everytime I finish a post a new idea pops up...

Is your K&N new? Sometimes oil from these makes it way to the MAF wire and dirties it, causing improper readings...the MAF reports that less air is coming in than actually is, and computer cuts injector pulse width, creating a lean condition and pinging...

...just a thought.

Okay, I'm done now.

Good luck.

Good input from Shawn.

If the K&N is new or freshly oiled, I like Shawn's idea. Actually, anytime the ping-thing (to use Grady's term) is encountered, I Like to see peeps clean the MAF, IAT (index the IAT upon installation) and check out the ECT. Both the latter sensors are thermistors and can be tested for calibration at given temps with a DMM.

In the winter, I am surprised he cant run 14* timing if he was able to all summer. I still kinda stand behind the idea of a weak pump or fuel restriction. In my experience, the ping thing comes in at low load (too much timing there with the stock tune). But there should be enough enrichment at WOT and higher RPM to not ping. That is just MHO so others will disagree.

Pinging is a sharp metallic sound all to itself. And it wont ping with no load (it is the load and gearing that allow the ping thing to happen).

One thing you might have noted: does it do the ping thing in 3rd, or only in OD? In 3rd, if you have some sort of gears, you should not be pinging at 65 mph IMHO. If you were, I would hit the fuel delivery.

My very random and rambling thoughts. :)

Good luck.

Okay well I thought it was gone, but its not, sadly. It is definitally only on the highway, like flooring it above 65. Whats weird is I did a run to 105 and heard nothing, and like the next day hear it.

What kind of revs are you turning in OD when this occurs? Have you unlocked the converter to see if it helps (to see if it is a lack of gearing issue)?

Good luck.

If you are in a light load condition, which it sounds like what you describe .......................

At that moment, your spark value is gonna be very high.

Also at that moment, you also are going to the floor which is gonna cause a lean condition.

Put the two together and you have the necessary conditions that could produce the ping thing.

Especially with the GT's, I've seen that lean thing when going to the floor on more than one ocasion.

Any time you get a full blown ping condition, it takes a massive amount of spark reduction to kill the ping.

Our cars don't have auto spark knock reduction systems so we have to use the one more commonly known as ... the right foot to keep ping in check.

To kill the ping, you can try ............
reduce spark
add fuel
up the octane

The GT's are just more prone to it :(

Grady

I was just scrounging through posts cause I'm bored. Anyway, thank you JT for mentioning the IAT sensor being indexed, lol. I completely forgot to do that when I installed mine a little while back. I have noticed a little ping .... you think that could be it? I'm going to take it back out & check anyway.

Sorry for hijacking the thread .... I just feel dumb now, lol.

Justin, no need to feel dumb (I have a thread right now asking where to get an alternator plug that I later found in 5 mins. :bang: ).

I could really not tell ya whether indexing the IAT makes a real tangible difference - Grady might if he knows of anyhow who DL'd with it not indexed and then with it indexed.

Since it takes 30 seconds to index, we cant go wrong doing it (I put a dab of silver sharpie in-line with each 'post' - I just screw the IAT in till one of the lines is at the top).

My fuel pressure is fine, and the MAF is clean. Now a couple of months ago I switched my MAF's, and I didn't have this problem before. It cured another problem I had, but I wonder if it started this new problem?
I mean it only happens on the highway when I floor it. Maybe its fuel? But then wouldn't it happen under load like 1st gear 5k rpms as well? It really doesn't happen at all unless its 50+

I too have the same problem. I run 10* timming, 93 octane, cooler plugs, done a tune up within the past 2 months. There are days where it will ping and days when it will not. I also have a hard start problem and have read that a bad pump would cause both pinging and hard start. I havent checked the fuel pressure lately but it was fine last year. The IAT looks like it is fine. There are so many threads and posts I have read that I dont know what to do anymore. Any suggestions?