Crap, Pinging

• Sponsors (?)

Hm. Interesting point Greg as when I adjusted my out-dated timing from 0 to 10 my car starting pinging at WOT.

But, my EGR is disconnected as well. Does anyone know how or why this could cause pinging?

Also, if my timing was retarded for so long, could the stock timing be a problem?

EGR being disconnected [without a tune] can result in part-throttle ping. But disconnecting it is NOT a way to get rid of pinging (just the opposite).

I think I have the same problem and have had this problem for a while. Is a "metallic sputter" a good way to describe pinging? I have not narrowed it down to a speed, gear or rpm. If I'm on the highway doing 65 and start going up a hill, when I give it more gas (1/4 throttle +) to maintain speed, I get the noise and the car really doesn’t want to speed up. Under that kind of load it tends to happen with less throttle, but if I do a hard pull through 2nd and 3rd, I get the same noise at about 1/2 throttle+. Pinging?

R.J. said:
I think I have the same problem and have had this problem for a while. Is a "metallic sputter" a good way to describe pinging? I have not narrowed it down to a speed, gear or rpm. If I'm on the highway doing 65 and start going up a hill, when I give it more gas (1/4 throttle +) to maintain speed, I get the noise and the car really doesn’t want to speed up. Under that kind of load it tends to happen with less throttle, but if I do a hard pull through 2nd and 3rd, I get the same noise at about 1/2 throttle+. Pinging?
My two cents. Pinging is a very high pitched (to my ears, which have listened to too much loud motorcycle exhaust with no helmet) noise. It does sound like the 'marbles rattling in a jar' - a hallow sound.

Grady can tell you a lot more about the actual dynamic going on with the computer, But I notice that (I think) I have too much timing and too little fuel with light throttle input. If I stand on it more when I hear pinging (counterintuitive, if you ask me), it must richen up a bit and it helps. And being in a higher gear (5th, for example) reduces your mechanical advantage, which can cause pinging. Even lugging in a lower gear (like using 3rd when second should be used, esp if going uphill) can cause pinging. Mech advantage (the lack-there-of) again.

I will add that I have heard exhaust noises (leaks or bad smog pump) that can resonate in situations just like you describe. Others will help a lot more.

Good luck R.J.

Well from what i have seen on this forum most of the time it is a dirty MAF or IAT from a K+N Filter or other aftermarket filter that has Oil in it. That fixed my problem. PB Electrical Cleaner what I used to clean the 2 sensors and never have had a problem since. But It can be all sorts of things on our cars

Synned,

Two words… VACUUM LEAK!

If all of your fuel and spark stuff checks out properly, look for a vacuum leak! Particularly in the air intake tract after the MAF, somewhere between the MAF and the throttle body. Check all that stuff for cracks, poor fit, etc.

Any bad intake air duct plumbing in that area that causes an air leak will lead to a false load indication, a lean condition, and therefore pinging. Pinging caused by a vacuum leak in that area can present itself randomly, i.e. it will happen sometimes and not happen other times. Why? Because our fuel/spark tables are load based, and a vacuum leak can vary with ambient conditions under the hood.

A friend of mine would get a pinging problem on his stock ’95 GT every other time that he replaced his air filter!!! WTF, we thought… you do some routine maintenance and the car runs worse!

Turns out he was causing a vacuum leak when he removed and reassembled the air intake ducting (including everything between the throttle body and the air filter housing). He was getting all of that stuff back together right except for one thing. The J-shaped piece of hose that connects the oil filler tube neck and the intake duct just before the throttle body was the problem.

That hose was old and brittle with age and did not make a tight fit with the nipple on the oil filler tube neck anymore. It was really loose. As such, instead of just pulling in crankcase fumes from the PCV system (a closed system), it was sucking in some outside air because of the loose fit. He put a small hose clamp on that hose at the oil filler tube neck to get a good seal and the pinging stopped immediately!

PS) Also check the short vacuum hose that connects your fuel pressure regulator to the intake for its vacuum source. That hose really gets hard and crusty from the underhood heat. If that one leaks air, your fuel pressure will not be correct at load!

Morale of the Story: All the original vacuum hoses in our cars are 11 years old now and getting brittle and loose. Look for vacuum leaks everywhere!

HISSIN50 said:
My two cents. Pinging is a very high pitched (to my ears, which have listened to too much loud motorcycle exhaust with no helmet) noise. It does sound like the 'marbles rattling in a jar' - a hallow sound.

Grady can tell you a lot more about the actual dynamic going on with the computer, But I notice that (I think) I have too much timing and too little fuel with light throttle input. If I stand on it more when I hear pinging (counterintuitive, if you ask me), it must richen up a bit and it helps. And being in a higher gear (5th, for example) reduces your mechanical advantage, which can cause pinging. Even lugging in a lower gear (like using 3rd when second should be used, esp if going uphill) can cause pinging. Mech advantage (the lack-there-of) again.

I will add that I have heard exhaust noises (leaks or bad smog pump) that can resonate in situations just like you describe. Others will help a lot more.

Good luck R.J.

I agree with JT about how other things you may hear can make you think you hear the ping thing. :nice:

I had one of those brick thingys in a cat come loose once that kinda sounded like ping.

Ping can cause damage :(
Even all the more so if you got soft Aluminum heads :eek:

If you even suspect you got it .......................
Try the following ... if the noise goes away ... you did indeed have it

1) Up the octane count at the pump
2) Dial back the spark a good bit
3) Do both 1 & 2

Grady

final5-0 said:
I agree with JT about how other things you may hear can make you think you hear the ping thing. :nice:

I had one of those brick thingys in a cat come loose once that kinda sounded like ping.

Ping can cause damage :(
Even all the more so if you got soft Aluminum heads :eek:

If you even suspect you got it .......................
Try the following ... if the noise goes away ... you did indeed have it

1) Up the octane count at the pump
2) Dial back the spark a good bit
3) Do both 1 & 2

Grady

I know, I'm scared to drive my car. Have i heard it if I have gone WOT a couple times with it? Maybe ill pull the plugs.

This is getting rediculous, I think i'm just gonna take it to a mechanic.