CRIKEYS! this is for real

310stanger said:
he might have been really crazy with the things he did, but he also wasnt some random shmoe playing with animals either. he was a walking encyclopedia of many ecosystems and species of any form of wildlife you could think of. his death is a huge loss because he did so much for wildlife and he made television shows that were extremely entertaining, that was his draw. he was the first guy to pick up on the fact that people will watch a show if its educational yet entertaining. who knows what led up to that stingray stinging him. they arent known to be aggressive maybe he was touching it who knows. from everything i have seen its extremely rare that a sting from them turns fatal, that ray got him dead on where it needed to for it to be a fatal attack. honestly, with all the stuff hes done i definitely would have expected him to get killed doing something way more dangerous. when he goes in crock pits and swims in the lake with tons of crocks around.

He swam above the stingray and it basiaclly raised the barb right below his rib and into his heard... I used to watch that show all the time :( And with an 8 year old daughter and a 2 year old son its terrible :(

• Sponsors (?)

Forget all of the negative comments. The dude had balls of steel to do what he did. No other zoologist before him ever went out and did some of the things he has done on camera with crocs and poisinous snakes. He gets nothing but respect from me and may he rest in peace.

He grew up around that stuff, he was a beast with animals, his parents founded the australian zoo. He gave almost all of his money and literally all of his life to animals, props to him.

hate to see him go

Steve Irwin knew the risks associated with his job, and i'm sure his wife Teri accepted that before they ever got married, so I am certain the irony strikes his family very hard. I admired the man because he genuinely loved animals, and he spent practically his entire life protecting them and educating people about them. I saw an episode once where he and his wife Teri pulled a crippled bull alligator out of a dried up mud hole so they could doctor his limb and relocate him. The gator was huge, and one of its front feet had been chewed off - I wouls assume by another gator. Talk about a woman who stands by your side... sheesh. I also respected how he not only spent time educating people so they could be safer around animals, he always focused on the humane aspect of handling animals. So yeah, the ol' croc hunter was crazy, but he was crazy and he cared. Plus he had huge balls. I mean titanium volkswagen sized clackers. And many times he protected animals from people or other animals at his own expense. He owned a huge wildlife preserve and played a big part in the care and treatment of animals.

So I don't mind sounding a bit mushy and saying i'll miss the guy. He was one hell of a man.

310stanger said:
definitely seemed like the nicest guy ever too, shirt off his back kinda guy. how strong can a stingray swing its barb to penetrate his chest? he was a pretty big guy

It went below his rib...so it didnt go through any bone just his flesh, and his heard :nonono:

I always thought he was a crazy son of a bitch, but he seemed like a great guy. Like others said, he cared about animals and really loved what he was doing. He will be missed. :(

The guy really used his money for a good cause, and done a lot with his life as far as educating others about animals. A lot of people that do shows or movies make tons of money but don't do anything really to help out anyone but themselves. He really strived to help out animals and thats very respectable. RIP croc hunter.

Def sucks... You couldn't help but like him regardless of what you thought of his blatent and often unnecessary risk taking. Seemed totally inevitable though.

310stanger said:
definitely seemed like the nicest guy ever too, shirt off his back kinda guy. how strong can a stingray swing its barb to penetrate his chest? he was a pretty big guy

A stingrays barb is hard like bone, Not to mention once they pierce your skin the barb secretes poison which basically stops circulation and made Steve go into cardiac arrest.