damn horn!

svopwr

Jan 29, 2007
alright listen.... for the past couple weeks, in the middle of the night/morning my horn has just randomly gone of and stays blowing untill i open the car and hit the horn button on the wheel. also for these past few weeks its been really cold at night/mornin, is the temp. outside the cause for this or what am i looking for? its just so random and annoying. need replys for help!

• Sponsors (?)

i have an 84 svo with the same problem. after being frustrated with getting up at 2 am to go sprint out to the car before my neighbors killed me i finally just pulled the steering wheel pad and disconnected the horn button
good: no waking up at 2 am to turn it off
bad: no horn at all

hahahahaha....... lol. i know exactly what you mean!! but the only problem is i kinda like to keep my horn. maybe ill just put a toggle switch under the dash that i can just kill the pwr to the horn till i need it. mine is an 84 as well.

yup, been there, done that.

I pulled another pad from the j-yard and it's been good ever since. I don't remember what it cost, but not much at all.

Seems when it gets really cold, the contacts can get close enough to touch after all these years or use and abuse.

My 1988 LX 2.3L convertible did this exact same thing a few nights ago. It was also one of the rare cold nights here in Florida, though I don't know if the temp. had anything to do with the problem. My husband disconnected the horn so I could still drive it for now, but now there is a clicking noise that comes from the steering wheel when I turn. Any suggestions?

my 89 did the same thing a couple of weeks ago,i just popped the cover off the steering wheel,exposing the purple(hot wire) and black wire(ground),,these horn pads get worn out and the contacts start touching,the foam inside breaks apart,,i just touch the two wires together to get it horny:p ,,,have to go to the junkyard and find another horn cover,,not sure if you can do that with the airbag models,probably not

I popped the horn cover off the steering wheel, but I see two black wires. :shrug: The clicking noise seems to come from the connection being made, like the horn would be honking if it was actually connected. Is it possible there is a short somewhere that is causing the connection and how would I check for that?

I permananetly fixed my 89 GT myself that did this. Take the contact pad out. Peel the two plates apart. Get some gray open cell packing foam from somewhere and cut some small slices out the same thickness that the old foam was before it collapsed...maybe just a bit thicker. Cut small squares and glue the squares all over (you'll see when you tear into it). Glue the plates back together.

Good luck!

Thanks!!!:hail2: As soon as I got in there, I saw exactly what you were talking about.....or more to the point I didn't see it (the pad) and figured that must be the problem. What little pad there was in there pretty much disintegrated when I pulled the plates apart.

I popped the horn cover off the steering wheel, but I see two black wires. :shrug: The clicking noise seems to come from the connection being made, like the horn would be honking if it was actually connected. Is it possible there is a short somewhere that is causing the connection and how would I check for that?
what you are hearing is the horn relay under the dash,,the horns ,you should have two under the left fender,they might have a bad ground on the frame due to rust, with the horns disconnected check for 12volts with a test light when someone connects those two wires on the column(horn button),,,,,the bolt that holds the horns to the frame is the ground circuit,,as long as you can provide 12vollts to the wire going to the horns they will work,unless they are defective rare but it happens.,,,,,,,,,,,hey guys thanks for the tip on rebuilding the pad

what you are hearing is the horn relay under the dash,,the horns ,you should have two under the left fender,they might have a bad ground on the frame due to rust, with the horns disconnected check for 12volts with a test light when someone connects those two wires on the column(horn button),,,,,the bolt that holds the horns to the frame is the ground circuit,,as long as you can provide 12vollts to the wire going to the horns they will work,unless they are defective rare but it happens.,,,,,,,,,,,hey guys thanks for the tip on rebuilding the pad
Thanks for the tip, but it seems like my problem was just the pad. I put in some new padding between the plates and now there is no more clicking noise from the horn relay so I think it has solved the problem of the mystery connection, it wasn't a short, just the plates making contact because of a lack of padding. I still have to reconnect the horns to make sure this fix really worked, but so far it appears to be the answer I was looking for.

Thanks for the tip, but it seems like my problem was just the pad. I put in some new padding between the plates and now there is no more clicking noise from the horn relay so I think it has solved the problem of the mystery connection, it wasn't a short, just the plates making contact because of a lack of padding. I still have to reconnect the horns to make sure this fix really worked, but so far it appears to be the answer I was looking for.

I had the same problem and just used small round beads of RTV sealant around some areas of the missing padding. It worked just as good, really easy to do, just dont make those RTV dots too big or horn might not be able to press in and make contact. If thats the case, just remove som of the beads.