Dan's First Car Build Thread

I'm 13 years old and I've saved up about 2 grand (hopefully 2.5k by the end of the summer).For about a year and a half I've been looking at cars to save up for and this seems to be what I want to get. I know that these 80s cars are hard to get into as first cars being 30 years old and understand the expenses (insurance, gas, entry price etc.)

I don't think we have ever had a 13 year old ask for advice, and it's great to see your enthusiasm. You couldn't have come of age at a worse time for foxbodies. They are absolutely through the roof right now. My best friend of 24 years just paid $25K for a 93' Mustang GT automatic because it was in good condition. I hope you hit a deal, but it's just bad timing. Everything goes in cycles. When I was in high school in the 90s, everyone wanted a 5.0 Mustang. Now we are all the age where we have excess money, and old farts like my best friend are willing to pay huge amounts of money to relive their teenage years. If someone is selling you a foxbody for $5k, they probably don't know what they have, or it's a total :poo: box. If you come across something for a decent price, post pics, and we'll do our best to help you out. Also, 94'-04' Mustangs have seen almost no appreciation, and are going for next to nothing; if that interests you.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I resemble that remark :doh:
So do I but cars more like this one are my teenage years... You want to talk expensive?? LOL
66 outside.jpg

So do I but cars more like this one are my teenage years... You want to talk expensive?? LOL
66 outside.jpg
My dad had a 63' fuelie in that color. I'll never hear the end of it. He's 81 years old, and still talks about that car. He said he did LA to Detroit in 30 hours or something stupid like that. He said he also did Oslo to some port in Italy in 36 hours or whatever. Sold the car in Norway just before I was born, but the buyer insisted on him putting a carb back on it it because their are no fuelie parts available over there. Brought the whole fuelie setup back to the States in his suitcase. It sat in a box in our garage until the house caught fire in 1996, and the insurance company paid him $14K for an intake manifold, injection lines, and some stupid cable that drove the injection pump off the distributor. Now I sound like the Alex Jones of Stangnet, but I swear it's all true.

Kurt

Reactions: 2 users
My dad had a 63' fuelie in that color. I'll never hear the end of it. He's 81 years old, and still talks about that car. He said he did LA to Detroit in 30 hours or something stupid like that. He said he also did Oslo to some port in Italy in 36 hours or whatever. Sold the car in Norway just before I was born, but the buyer insisted on him putting a carb back on it it because their are no fuelie parts available over there. Brought the whole fuelie setup back to the States in his suitcase. It sat in a box in our garage until the house caught fire in 1996, and the insurance company paid him $14K for an intake manifold, injection lines, and some stupid cable that drove the injection pump off the distributor. Now I sound like the Alex Jones of Stangnet, but I swear it's all true.

Kurt
Harder to find ( at least it used to be) is the distributor for the shaft drive for the FI... Must of been two drives off the dist. ( can't remember, it was a LONG time ago) as the tach was a cable drive also..... The stuff is expensive, so I believe your story..
Friend had a 63 fuelie in HIgh School so I was around one too... The FI got a bad rap back then... Usually a larger cam was installed ( sound familiar?) so the vacuum to the FI was off and it didn't run correctly and the " bible " of cars ( Hot Rod) magazine had dyno tests that showed a large holley developed more horsepower... Nobody knew how to work on the Mechanical FI either
My friend traded the FI from his car for a rebuilt short block when he blew up the engine in his car.... Young and dumb......

The car in the pic is a 66 I tried to " acquire" a few years ago..... Other interested people had more money than I did.... C2 corvettes go for crazy money anymore...

Last edited:
It's been about 3-4 months since I've last posted here. I finally got a Foxbody. It's a 1993 Hatchback GT 5.0 AOD. The car has a handful things that should be taken care of as top priority. It needs new tires, the piece holding the gauge cluster rattles, a piece around where the shifter is rattles, the windshield is cracked and the driver side door has a dent and has trouble closing because the door got caught on a garage door and now you have to slam the door. Here's all the photos I've taken of the car so far.
IMG_3028.jpg
IMG_3031.jpg
IMG_3032.jpg
IMG_3033.jpg
IMG_3034.jpg
IMG_3035.jpg
IMG_3039.jpg
IMG_3038.jpg
IMG_3040.jpg
IMG_3036.jpg
IMG_3037.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
It's been about 3-4 months since I've last posted here. I finally got a Foxbody. It's a 1993 Hatchback GT 5.0 AOD. The car has a handful things that should be taken care of as top priority. It needs new tires, the piece holding the gauge cluster rattles, a piece around where the shifter is rattles, the windshield is cracked and the driver side door has a dent and It's been about 3-4 months since I've last posted here. I finally got a Foxbody. It's a 1993 Hatchback GT 5.0 AOD. The car has a handful things that should be taken care of as top priority. It needs new tires, the piece holding the gauge cluster rattles, a piece around where the shifter is rattles, the windshield is cracked and the driver side door has a dent and has trouble closing because the door got caught on a garage door and now you have to slam the door. Here's all the photos I've taken of the car so far.
IMG_3028.jpg
IMG_3031.jpg
IMG_3032.jpg
IMG_3033.jpg
IMG_3034.jpg
IMG_3035.jpg
IMG_3039.jpg
IMG_3038.jpg
IMG_3040.jpg
IMG_3036.jpg
IMG_3037.jpg
Nice looking Fox. I remember getting my first at 16 (84 GT 5spd) and loved every minute of it. I hope you enjoy the journey. :nice:

I got my first mustang when I was 14, been hooked ever since and it sure has come a long way to where I'm 20 now. That's a very nice looking 93, and best of luck on your journey to working out the few kinks and enjoying her soon. These are really fun cars, just respect them and enjoy the process!

Also, is that a 430 Scuderia I spy in the back there??

I got my first mustang when I was 14, been hooked ever since and it sure has come a long way to where I'm 20 now. That's a very nice looking 93, and best of luck on your journey to working out the few kinks and enjoying her soon. These are really fun cars, just respect them and enjoy the process!

Also, is that a 430 Scuderia I spy in the back there??
Yes that is

The car has a handful things that should be taken care of as top priority. It needs new tires, the piece holding the gauge cluster rattles,

Check the two top mounting screws. The mounts on the dash frequently break, which causes the guage cluster surround to move and rattle.

If they are broken, LMR sells a kit to repair

Installed left door pocket delete on Thursday and installed right side on Monday along with changing the bulb in the ceiling for an LED light

Attachments

• 4477A7FE-E9CA-4214-BE08-44CD2599968D.jpeg
    4477A7FE-E9CA-4214-BE08-44CD2599968D.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 267E351F-0D3B-4C55-9174-AD9866C3D81A.jpeg
    267E351F-0D3B-4C55-9174-AD9866C3D81A.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 33
  • B278B586-F76F-4891-B122-1034689A1472.jpeg
    B278B586-F76F-4891-B122-1034689A1472.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: 1 users
finally got pictures of the engine bay and found a date in it, what does the number above mean? we fixed the power seats and had to replace both the up and down and forward/back motors along with the forward/back gears. it appears that the rear seat bolts when through the body and i had to untighten the nuts from the underside. IMG_0593.jpeg IMG_0594.jpeg IMG_0238.jpeg IMG_0277.jpeg IMG_0286.jpeg IMG_0285.jpeg IMG_0278.jpeg

Likely assembly line dates of when the seat was built. The rad support date usually aligns with a build date but not sure if it’s start or end. Seat was built a week or two before shipping to plant and tossing it in the car. Various subcontractors build parts. Lear Automotive did the seats.

There’s usually a date behind the glovebox too. Dash is assembled as one unit and the frame with dash and harness all installed in one shot.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I changed the corner lights from amber to LED and I think it looks much better. I'm probably gonna have to tighten up the passenger side headlight since it sticks out a little too far and makes the headlights look a little goofy. IMG_0656.png IMG_0654.png IMG_0652.png IMG_0655.png