Dealer Mark-up or not when you order?

Z GT

Apr 19, 2005
Was in our local Ford dealer today getting an oil change on my Escape. I'm getting ready to buy a GT Vert, but waiting to pay off our other car first.

Here's the deal. They had a V6 Vert (NOT A GT) and they had a sticker on it clearly marked Additonal Dealer Markup $3995! And this was on a V6! Of course, they don't have any GT's on the lot. Salesman said he hates the Dealer Markup, but said that is what all the dealers around here are doing for now anyway.

Here's my question. If you ORDER a GT, with the options you want, do you pay MSRP sticker or do you still have to pay a Dealer Markup? I would have asked there, but my car was ready and they were paging me.

I'm several months out before it's time to buy mine. Was planning on just waiting till I'm ready, then find a dealer that has one I want. Now wondering if I'd be better to just order it about 3-4 months before I want to take delivery.

Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Your dealer is full of BS. If you order, there should not be an "additional dealer markup" because the dealer never actually receives the car (i.e. the car does not sit on their lot, no advertising costs etc.) When I ordered my GT, I told the dealer I looked up the invoice and MSRP prices on the internet and was not going to pay MSRP for a car I am ordering and waiting for. We split the difference b/t invoice and MSRP (over $1,000 under MSRP). Also, look on the internet. I guarantee you that you can find a V-6 within a couple hours of where you live for MSRP. Good luck.

I know I found several dealers that were willing to order for x-plan not MSRP, but I also talked to a few who said no way on x-plan.

I would think at the very least you could get one for MSRP and probably less if you order. An order has no risk--no inventory, no handling, no sales time.