Decided to let the Mustang go (long read)

Cabinetman

Jun 17, 2008
I have owned my '07 GT/CS for about a year. In that time I added FRPP 3.73 gears, FRPP handling pak, FRPP big brake kit, J&L intake with Brenspeed tune, Corsa exhaust and take-off GT500 wheels and tires. My goal was to finish building the suspension and then go FI. The problem I ran into was I wasn't able to drive the car as much as I would like because it didn't have the room I needed to haul my kids around. I found myself driving my truck 95% of the time.

A couple of weeks ago I decided the Mustang needed to be replaced with something more practical. The replacement car needed to have 4 doors and still be fun to drive with performance at least on par with a stock Mustang GT.

I started looking for a replacement at the local Pontiac dealer in the form of the G8 GXP. That car is very quick, but just didn't impress me much in the handling department. The interior also left a lot to be desired (not that this is a Mustang strong point either, but for $41k I expected more). I really wanted to like this car because of the 415hp LS3, but I just couldn't overlook the cheap interior and somewhat numb handling.

My next stop was the local Infiniti dealer where I drove the G37s. This car was worlds ahead in the interior department compared to the G8. Also, the handling was better sorted out. The steering felt more responsive and better weighted, and body roll was more controlled. The problem with the G37 is the engine. Don't get me wrong it makes good power throughout the rev range, but it has an unrefined feeling to it. At full throttle the engine sounds kind of thrashy and lacks the nice bellow of a larger displacement V8.

I probably could live with the engine in the G37 had it not been for the test drive I took next. I came across a used 2008 Lexus IS F with less than 5,000 miles on the clock. Even used this was by far the most expensive car I drove, but after spending some time in the Lexus I knew it was the one.

If your not familiar with the IS F it is Lexus' attempt to build a car to compete with the like of the BMW M3, Audi RS4 and Merecedes C63 AMG. At the heart of the car is a 5.0L 32v V8 engine that puts out 416hp and 371 lbs ft of torque. The engine is back by a modified version of the Lexus 8 speed auto that has a manual shift mode that allows lightening quick shifts via paddles behind the wheel. Lexus claims shifts take .1 second which is faster than the Audi DSG and even the Ferrari Enzo's gearbox. The driveline is backed up with other go fast goodies including 6 piston Brembos in the front clamping 14.2" crossed drilled rotors, 19" forged BBS wheels and a sport tuned suspension.

I fell hard for this car. It has a very upscale and user friendly interior with great seats, a nice nav and a pretty good factory stereo. Add in things like adaptive bi-Xenon lights, sunroof, push button start and memory seats and this car has about all I could ask for. The rear seats are a bit cramped compared to the G8, but my kids are 3 and 4 so they don't complain. The factory exhaust has a nice roar to it when you get on the gas. Speaking of getting on the gas, this car is fast. Most magazine test show it to run between 4.2 and 4.4 0-60 and in the high 12s at over 110 mph in the 1/4 mile. Not bad for a 4 door grocery getter.

I'm going to miss my Mustang. I got way more attention in the stang then I do in the Lexus. I'm also going to miss the thriving aftermarket support for the Ford. The IS F is such a limited production car that there is very little in the way of aftermarket and what is available isn't cheap. Also, the F will never sound as sweet as my GT did.
I hope a true car enthusiast ends up with my Mustang.

I hope I don't catch a lot of crap for buying a Japanese car. I really feel like it is the best car for me right now. Someday I would love to give a car like the new CTS-V a try, but for the money I am very happy with being a "ricer" for now.

• Sponsors (?)

the ISF is amazing. i've driven one at work. these cars like lexus and infinitis have such nice interiors.

i definitely think you made a great choice.

i agree on the pontiac interior though, alot of them look the same, which is a big turn off for me. get in a base model and a top of the line model of the same car, they don't change that much. still all that crappy plastic all over. etc. when driving in them it just feels like a cheap car inside.

as for the caddy you mentioned. i haven't driven the ctsv, but the regular cts. I hated it. it may be something you get used to, but when coming from a mustang, and then two lincolns i've driven pretty often, i just didn't like how it felt. not talking speed or anything, just overall handling, it didn't ride like how i would of liked.

those memory seats can be a pain though. sat in a car and the guy before me set memory seat 1 ALL the way up and forward. so i get in, start the car. all of a sudden i'm smothered by a steering wheel. hahah.

post a picture of your ISF if you can. i'd love to see it.

Those are nice cars, and I can understand your choice. You'll get some flack here for not buying American, but you gotta go with what works for you.

On a side note, I'd love to line up against your IS-F in my big four door. It makes more power at the wheels than the IS-F does at the crank, but it's also heavier. Might be a good race. Provided we don't go around any corners. :D

Those are nice cars, and I can understand your choice. You'll get some flack here for not buying American, but you gotta go with what works for you.

On a side note, I'd love to line up against your IS-F in my big four door. It makes more power at the wheels than the IS-F does at the crank, but it's also heavier. Might be a good race. Provided we don't go around any corners. :D

I'm not much of a drag racer, but if you happen to be in the D/FW area I'll be happy to give you a chance to see how your car stacks up next to the F. Most of the stock dyno runs I have seen put the F at around 360-365rwhp. Factor in a curb weight of about 3800lbs and you might be able to get a pretty good idea of how you will do. Granted, I don't know how the gearing will effect things.

Today I had to drive out to Possum Kingdom lake and had the opportunity to open the car up a bit. I hit about 130mph and the car was still pulling strong and was very stable. I have no idea if it will hit the 170mph limiter and probably never will unless I get on the right race track.

:lol:

Im with him:flag:

A lot of families in Detroit need jobs....

I understand the desire to keep jobs in the USA, but in reality we live in a global marketplace and no matter where a car's final assembly point might be the components come from all over the world. Not to mention you can buy a Dodge made in Mexico and a Toyota built here in the USA.

Also, I think people should buy the products that best fit their needs. If one of the big three made a car that fit my criteria and budget I would have been happy to buy one. The thing is they don't. The G8 GXP was the closest, but it lacks the features and refinement that I expect in a $40k plus sedan. The only other rear drive American sports sedan is the CTS V and it was beyond my budget unless I went with the previous generation car which I don't care for. I suppose one could argue the SRT series of cars would work, but I see those more as muscle cars than sports sedans.

I happen to own a small manufacturing company and strive very hard to compete with both local as well as overseas competition. Somehow I have been able to develop my product line and control my costs in such a way that I have been able to do this. I imagine most successful businesses do the same.

I was just joking with my original comment but after reading you had a budget of $40k I reiterate my original statement!!! hell you could have bought a tauras sho and kept the stang! Who needs a $40k grocery getter anyways? You need somethin to haul the kids buy a minivan keep the stang!!

BUY
:flag:

hmmmm

What happens when all the people in America go broke and can no longer buy your goods? Then that fancy Toyota will be out of your range too....

Then Ill explain to you how your product didn't meet the needs of the market and how foreign goods subsidized by their govt's to undercut the global market, like Japanese cars are, is good for the consumer...

A lot of these foreign owner products, that are made by Americans, before the approaching economic crash will end. These foreign owned companies will leave in favor of domestic protectionism and nationalism on the part of Japan....

While global competition stimulates the market, it also can be easily manipulated and give consumers the false notion that foreign ownership does not mean the export of capital to foreign nations and companies, ie the bottom line.

Not trying to bust on you, we just have a fundamental difference in our outlook on the world.....by the way what do u make, maybe Ill need some one day....

Id rather buy it from you for a few bucks more than from some Chinese, Mexican, Japanese company....then you can buy some stuff from me....:)

I was just joking with my original comment but after reading you had a budget of $40k I reiterate my original statement!!! hell you could have bought a tauras sho and kept the stang! Who needs a $40k grocery getter anyways? You need somethin to haul the kids buy a minivan keep the stang!!

BUY
:flag:

I might not have made this clear in my original post, but I did have the Mustang as an extra car and was daily driving my 3/4 ton Chevy Duramax. What I found was I had very little time to drive the Mustang because most days I needed more space. With the F I am able to take care of most of my day to day responsibilities and still have a little fun while doing it.

What happens when all the people in America go broke and can no longer buy your goods? Then that fancy Toyota will be out of your range too....

Then Ill explain to you how your product didn't meet the needs of the market and how foreign goods subsidized by their govt's to undercut the global market, like Japanese cars are, is good for the consumer...

A lot of these foreign owner products, that are made by Americans, before the approaching economic crash will end. These foreign owned companies will leave in favor of domestic protectionism and nationalism on the part of Japan....

While global competition stimulates the market, it also can be easily manipulated and give consumers the false notion that foreign ownership does not mean the export of capital to foreign nations and companies, ie the bottom line.

Not trying to bust on you, we just have a fundamental difference in our outlook on the world.....by the way what do u make, maybe Ill need some one day....

Id rather buy it from you for a few bucks more than from some Chinese, Mexican, Japanese company....then you can buy some stuff from me....:)

I understand your points. You are in on way busting on me. I don't mind being called out when the person doing it has well informed and clearly thought out arguements. My brain can use the stimulus!

We could could argue about this topic for days and probably never completely agree so I'll just leave it alone. As a capitalist I believe free market economies work. However, as you alluded to, when outside forces try to drive the markets it throws everything out of balance.

I own a custom cabinet company that was started by my grandfather 35 years ago. We serve the local Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Over the years we have developed a product line that competes very well with the prefabricated cabinets commonly used by volume home builders. We also offer true custom cabinets with all the bells and whistles.

congrats on the purchase, I also feel that if i'm going to spend that much money i'll get what best suites my needs. I had an 04 is300 and it was a nice car and next my wife wants another lexus either being a is350 or is f....if your happy, IMO that's what counts but everybody obviously have strong thoughts that against this. Honda are also produced here in the United States....what about when you stop buying honda, more americans out of jobs? It's all a big circle jerk. Anyway, at first glace reading the title I was expecting that you let the mustang go back to the bank....i'm glad my assumption was wrong. haha

I mean - I prob will only purchase American name brand cars, but my mother has a 2007 Lexus GS300... Really nice car...

I googled this Lexus IS F... .WOW. its sharp! Post up pics!!!

Found my wife's camera so here are a few quick pictures. I didn't move my Jeep so you can see I'm not against American cars.

IMG_0744.jpg

View attachment 267839
View attachment 267840
IMG_0747.jpg

View attachment 267842

car looks expensive, 40k+?

I'm poor, my mustang is my high end sports car. :rlaugh:

However, i plan on next getting an F150 and a rear engine dragster, so someday i will be selling my mustang.

Sticker price on my F when new was $61k. I bought it used with 4800 miles on it for $46k.

Trust me, I remember those days when I considered a nicely optioned out Mustang a high end car. My dad bought me a slightly used GT when I started driving and my dumb ass wrecked it within six months. After that it was years of high mileage used cars or newer, but boring, budget cars. Now I'm in my mid thirties and I can afford to have a few nice things. Luckily, I have a very understanding wife.