Decisions decisions Pro M or Holley Terminator X

I'm a coder at work. R, Python, VBA, etc... Aside from the more natural inclination of a salesman to sell you something he can profit from, I've noticed that some of the other guys at work will seriously argue about how excel is the only way to go doing data analysis. You cannot convince them otherwise. It can take 40 more minutes to do the same task, but they won't budge. Why? Because it's what they're comfortable with. The lesson for me is not that they're dumb, it's that it's human nature to believe that one's most familiar/comfortable/preferential tool is easy to become biased about. Confirmation bias is a real thing. I've become tool agnostic. I don't care what the tool is if it gets the job done. I used to be most comfortable in Python, and before that Excel & VBA. Now, it's R, but I don't begrudge anyone else their preferences. Use something that you know will get the job done, first, and that you are comfortable with second. Or, that you can learn and make new advances/progress on, third. Beyond that, it just doesn't matter.

This translates directly to these systems. Big Stuff 3 was the cat's pajamas when I first decided I was going to get a stand alone. Since then, I've seen people call it garbage. What happened? Holly came along, the industry sold new stuff, and preferences changed. Now, this thread seems to indicate the tide is turning away from Holly, too. Whatever. The BS3 is still working well for me, but when I have another need, I'm probably going to pick up a different system, because I *like* the broadening of my knowledge base and experience.
While I agree with you , I don’t see holley going anywhere anytime soon . Holley is the odd man out in this forum. Everywhere else ? Not so much . Not to say that I don’t like fuel tech and how it’s appealing . Holley is everywhere . Except stangnet. Lol

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Steve, I know you don't have a crystal ball, but your shaking up your magic 8 ball with the following question may still be informative enough: With all of the EPA performance-killing regulations abounding, do you see dark clouds on the horizon for finding stand-alones in the future? I'm asking in consideration of the idea that it may be better to get ahead of it and put a system on the shelf for future use.
The EPA got word from the Supreme court back in June that it doesn't get to make the rules. Congress has to. It's a big reason why much of that story has faded in the last few months (idiots in California excluded).

The funny part is that the same decision is having ramifications on some other alphabet agencies too. There has been a [lot] of boundary overstepping by the unelected over the last er... Pretty much since Regan. :O_o:

I wonder if the Air Force will start making determinations about what an Assault Aircraft is :jester:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Steve, I know you don't have a crystal ball, but your shaking up your magic 8 ball with the following question may still be informative enough: With all of the EPA performance-killing regulations abounding, do you see dark clouds on the horizon for finding stand-alones in the future? I'm asking in consideration of the idea that it may be better to get ahead of it and put a system on the shelf for future use.
I have no good answer for this question. I sure hope not

I do work with holley stuff, but personally I dont like it :shrug: I like being in control of every aspect of the software and holley locks you away from functions and tables like your a caveman with a screwdriver.. I dont enjoy having to create custom tables to do what I consider basic adjustments.
Again thats just me talking from a point of experience with standalone systems, for the masses they enjoy that they do not have to mess with it.
Im just one of those nerds :p

Reactions: 1 user
I do work with holley stuff, but personally I dont like it :shrug: I like being in control of every aspect of the software and holley locks you away from functions and tables like your a caveman with a screwdriver.. I dont enjoy having to create custom tables to do what I consider basic adjustments.
Again thats just me talking from a point of experience with standalone systems, for the masses they enjoy that they do not have to mess with it.
Im just one of those nerds :p
Just say it, Steve.
You're a control freak :nice: