DESPERATE! Clutch Problems - May have to get rid of Stang!

katie98v65spd

Mar 8, 2004
Denver, CO
Ok, YET ANOTHER darn clutch problem in my car.

I have had 5 different clutches in the last 4 years. First time it was what I am assuming a stock clutch. ALL clutches have been replaced by reputable mechanics.

I KNOW I drive stick properly because my dad used to drag race mustangs and he has "evaluated" my driving. So that is NOT the problem like some of you may think.

Clutch 1. I put a high performance clutch in from Centerforce. Everything but the adjuster was replaced. That clutch went back due to a faulty pressure plate which pulverized all the weights.

Clutch 2. I put in a stock clutch because it would then have a warranty. Again everything but the adjuster was replaced. This one lasted a shotty 30,000 miles. And never felt right.

Clutch 3. Another stock clutch went in cuz the old one was making horrible noises. Chirping and squeaking. This time everything INCLUDING the adjuster was replaced. I drove 1000 miles from Illinois back to Denver and the pedal was popping and the clutch was squeaking again and SURE ENOUGH!! AnOtHeR faulty pressure plate!!! WHAT THE !!!!!!!!

Clutch 4. This one is currently in the car. The pedal constantly shakes and makes a shivering noise. Its VERY inconsistent in grip time.

Everyone that has ever driven my car says its the hardest manual they have EVER driven because of the darn clutch! No clutch has ever felt right.

WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE!?!?!?! :shrug:

Is it time to just scrap the car?!? :(

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, YET ANOTHER darn clutch problem in my car.

I have had 5 different clutches in the last 4 years. First time it was what I am assuming a stock clutch. ALL clutches have been replaced by reputable mechanics.

I KNOW I drive stick properly because my dad used to drag race mustangs and he has "evaluated" my driving. So that is NOT the problem like some of you may think.

Clutch 1. I put a high performance clutch in from Centerforce. Everything but the adjuster was replaced. That clutch went back due to a faulty pressure plate which pulverized all the weights.

Clutch 2. I put in a stock clutch because it would then have a warranty. Again everything but the adjuster was replaced. This one lasted a shotty 30,000 miles. And never felt right.

Clutch 3. Another stock clutch went in cuz the old one was making horrible noises. Chirping and squeaking. This time everything INCLUDING the adjuster was replaced. I drove 1000 miles from Illinois back to Denver and the pedal was popping and the clutch was squeaking again and SURE ENOUGH!! AnOtHeR faulty pressure plate!!! WHAT THE !!!!!!!!

Clutch 4. This one is currently in the car. The pedal constantly shakes and makes a shivering noise. Its VERY inconsistent in grip time.

Everyone that has ever driven my car says its the hardest manual they have EVER driven because of the darn clutch! No clutch has ever felt right.

WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE!?!?!?! :shrug:

Is it time to just scrap the car?!? :(

Did the same shop install it everytime , or different shop everytime ?

well first 2 especially sound like install error , dont know about the others , if you are getting shaking in the pedal as it grabs the flywheel is warped , dont resurface it , replace it this time with another stock clutch , it should be medium to easy to push in , not hard , if it is they are doing something wrong on install or you have something else wrong , cable binding , bad quadrant , burred up input bearing retainer on the tranny , or something binding upon engagement ......I stay busy myself with clutches , usually atleast 1 a month just doing them on the side for people LOL .......my latest headache was a toyota 4wd truck I put 2 clutches in before we realized the brackets behind the pedal had broken loose from the firewall and wasnt engaging the clutch master cylinder because the bracket was flexing .......

The fly wheel was replaced already with this last installation. I am also going to take it in soon and have the motor mounts and the transmission mounts checked.

I am thinking something is off with the bell housing causing all these clutches to go bad. BUT trying to find a mechanic that will not seriously take a look and not BULL CHIT a girl is almost impossible! :mad:

Saw the link to this in the 4.6 tech section...

When you say "everything" was replaced, can you tell was what parts are included ? I'm going to guess clutch disc/pressure place, throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Clutch cable too ?

Did they check the new flywheel to make sure it was true and properly faced before they installed it ?

You may want to examine your pedal linkage under the dash to make sure something isn't bent/broken causing pedal travel issues.

A buddy of mine went thru this same crap with his with the pedal jumping , upon taking it apart , the flywheel was in rough shape , and the bearing retainer was tore all to hell ....... we replaced everything and all is good now ....

Most clutches won't even honor their warranty unless you at least resurface the flywheel when you replace the clutch. It sounds like your flywheel is warped and needs to be resurfaced or replaced.

replace it ......if they dont know what they are doing when they set it up on the lathe to turn it , they could make it worse than it was LOL ....... I have seen guys turn flywheels on brake lathes that are not designed for flywheels before , IMO not a good idea .....just replace it , its the safer bet .....better yet put an aluminum one on it , I did one a 94 V6 this summer and that thing made the engine rev twice as fast as before ........I am sure it gave that V6 alot more power due to the reduced rotational weight ............id like to see a before and after quarter mile test of an aluminum flywheel on a 94-98 and 99-04 V6 .....would be interesting to see a test like that .....

Ok guys THANKS SO MUCH for your help!

I think for me it has come down to the fact that since I do not have a high enough skill to replace the clutch AGAIN all by myself nor do I have the $$ or the patience to give it to yet another shop to tinker around with it and try everything you guys suggested (which are wonderful suggestions that I have not thought of... BUT EXPENSIVE if you cant do the work yourself) I am just going to trade my lil 6er in for a GT.

I think maybe its time I move up in the mustang world and leave these problems behind!

THANKS to everyone who helped me with this! Lets hope it makes it back the 15 hour drive to Illiniois for the Christmas Holiday!