Did I get a good deal?

Mpov

May 15, 2009
Hi, everyone. Been lurking for a few weeks and this is my first post. I just bought a new 2008 GT Premium Convertible, Silver Vapor, with charcoal leather seats. Options include 18" chromed aluminum wheels, cloth roof, interior upgrade package, 3.55 rear axle and convertible boot cover. After factory incentives and some negotiation with the dealer, the final price was $27k (plus I got a reasonable price for my trade in).

So I'm thinking I got a good deal, too good to pass up even for an '08. They had a 2010 GT convertible on the lot, fully loaded - but over 40K sticker! It was the first 2010 I've seen in person. Really like the new, more agressive front but not the black pony on the grill. Interior on the 2010 is clearly nicer, and I would have liked to have Sync, but frankly I didn't think I could pass up the deal I was getting.

So did I do good?

• Sponsors (?)

Anyone that would pay over 40k for a 2010 GT Convert is out of their mind.

MSRP should be under 34k. Looks like that dealer did a market upcharged.

I'd laugh in his face and walk out.

I got mine which stickered at 31K for 25K I thought it was a pretty good deal. Being yours a convertible and getting it for only 2K should definitely be a nicer deal then what I got. As long as you're happy with your purchase and not have any regrets that should be all that matters.

That said anyone who's willing to pay 41K for a Mustang GT nothing else special on it is out of his/her mind. Is a restyle really worth the 15K+ markup?!? You can get GT500's, Roushes and such for that much and with a way better interest rate. Just wait a year or two!

Thanks for the comments, guys.

300- sticker on the car was around $35,500.

I agree that $40k+ is a heck of a lot to pay for a Mustang, even a GT Convertible. To be fair, this one had just about every option there is except auto tranny. IIRC, it had 19" wheels, the very expensive electronics package, and the comfort package. Probably more stuff too.

However, once you break $40 you are starting to move into BMW territory. A couple of grand more gets you a 135i convertible (albeit without a lot of options). In fact, I test drove a pristine used 2008 335i hard-top convertible, with 3000 miles on it, and the dealer was asking $42K. I don't know if the Mustangs will compete well in the over $40K territory.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

300- sticker on the car was around $35,500.

I agree that $40k+ is a heck of a lot to pay for a Mustang, even a GT Convertible. To be fair, this one had just about every option there is except auto tranny. IIRC, it had 19" wheels, the very expensive electronics package, and the comfort package. Probably more stuff too.

However, once you break $40 you are starting to move into BMW territory. A couple of grand more gets you a 135i convertible (albeit without a lot of options). In fact, I test drove a pristine used 2008 335i hard-top convertible, with 3000 miles on it, and the dealer was asking $42K. I don't know if the Mustangs will compete well in the over $40K territory.

They do if you pay $27k and take the $13-15k and turn that into upgrades. :D