Do I need new valve retainers and stem locks?

Well, awhile ago I had a new cam put in, and rather stupidly didn't put in matching springs. I finally have some money and a little more experience to the point I feel I could put em in without a problem. My question is, should I just put in new springs or go with kit with the retainers and locks included. I hope to get heads within the year and since I'm going away to school, I won't be driving it a whole lot after august. Are the retainers and locks necessary for these few months, or will the stock style be fine (stockers are in good shape, but I don't know if the new springs will be somehow "too much" for them). I want to do this right, but money is tight. Thanks a lot fellas.

Ah, am I going to need hardened pushrods with the new springs? As I said, this is short term until I get new heads.

Thanks! :D

• Sponsors (?)

I'd do locks and retainers too.

Depending on the springs, the specified retainers may have additional steps to properly locate an inner spring or dampner. Also If you have rotators, you have to ditch them (which replacing the retainers will do)

You start putting extra stress on 35 year old components, you are asking for dropped valves. Do it right, you can always get the new heads bare and reuse the srings,retainers, locks on them.

I don't know if you will get the right installed hieght with different manufacturers. Coupled with 36 year old parts, I'd probably spring for locks and retainers. I cut a nail to the correct install height, checked with dial calipers, to use as a go, nogo gauge.