Do our cars have a low fuel warning light?

yellowstang1994

Sep 9, 2004
It might be a pretty stupid question, but i've never seen one on my car and i'm not sure if the indiglo gauges that came with my car cover it up or not. I don't see any place for it, but I figure it'd be the most basic thing to have. I don't really need one that bad, but it was just something I was curious about and it keeps me wondering. Sorry, i'm at work and my cars at home, otherwise I'd go out and check.

• Sponsors (?)

yup, no light.. found this out the hard way one time coming home from work at 11 pm.. (thought process was something like this.. oh the tank is getting pretty low but ford guages tend to be inaccurate, and the low fuel light isnt on yet so ill be ok) :owned:

yeah my low coolant light likes to go on sometimes... however, my coolant isnt low.. go figure

The contacts on the coolant sensor (stuck in the overflow tank) can get corrosion and buildup. The contacts use the coolant to complete an electrical connection, which keeps the light OFF. If no current flows between the contacts, the computer "reasons" that you're low on coolant.

Bottom-line: pull the coolant sensor out of the overflow tank and clean the metal contacts on the bottom.

The contacts on the coolant sensor (stuck in the overflow tank) can get corrosion and buildup. The contacts use the coolant to complete an electrical connection, which keeps the light OFF. If no current flows between the contacts, the computer "reasons" that you're low on coolant.

Bottom-line: pull the coolant sensor out of the overflow tank and clean the metal contacts on the bottom.

thank you sir! much appreciated... not sure if ill clean it right away as it adds character to the vehicle LOL... naw seriously, ill check that out..

Haha beat me to it I was just about to say the same thing. As the same thing happened when I bought my car just took it out cleaned it up and been good ever since.