Does your Automatic Transmission start in 2nd gear?

Audioi

Mar 18, 2007
UpState NY
I have a 2006 GT with 10k on the clock. Just bought it so I am unsure how the trans. should respond.
50% of the time the car will start in 2nd gear even from a dead stop.
It really seems to load the torque converter harder than it likes.
Is mine the only one like this or is this common?

I took it to the dealer and paid them to tell me this is normal but I still cant believe it.
HELP!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah it moves just fine from a start in 2nd. Ford's for a long time have used this gear as a method of limiting torque for adverse weather conditions such as snow. I did this even in my Mazda 3 as in the manual it said use 2nd gear for starting in bad weather to limit slippage.

They charge for Diagnostic time if no warranty problem is found. I think thats a good way to make money.
I have reset the computer and it acts the way it should now.
It will be in 4th at 24 mph if you feather the gas but runs out to redline when you hammer it and no starting in 2nd from dead stop.
Guess I should have disconnected it before I went to the dealer.

R U Sure?

It should not start out in 2nd as long as it's in D. If you select 2, it will start in 2nd; select 3, it will start in 3rd.

Since I have a manual 5 speed, I dont know how the automatic shifts in our GT's. But are you sure about the transmission starting out in what ever gear you stick it in?
I never experienced an automatic that jumped the gears like that. I mean my experience has been if you stick it in second, it will start out in first, shift to second and stay there. Put it in third, it still goes from first to second to third, and no further, etc.

Am I wrong? :shrug:

Warlock, I am with you...... I questioned it as my other cars start in 1st no matter what position its in (unless you select manual mode).
Seems very strange that a performance trans would even want to start in 2nd or 3rd but who am I.

Since I have a manual 5 speed, I dont know how the automatic shifts in our GT's. But are you sure about the transmission starting out in what ever gear you stick it in?
I never experienced an automatic that jumped the gears like that. I mean my experience has been if you stick it in second, it will start out in first, shift to second and stay there. Put it in third, it still goes from first to second to third, and no further, etc.

Am I wrong? :shrug:

The new autos don't do that. The AODs did. In these autos with a gentle take off you will miss it shifting into 2nd if you're not paying alot of attention to it.

I agree that the dealer should not have charged you. If something sounds wrong, it could be wrong. And a dealer should check that for free under warranty even it nothing wrong is found.
Hint, just because the dealer found nothing wrong doesn't mean nothing is wrong.
And, on top of that, isn't a little preventative checking better than tearing something up.
The dealer should not have charged you.

Warlock...

I only WISH these autos did that. What every gear you select the car stays in that gear - always.

I asked Brenspeed about a custom tune that would you to select a gear but have the tranny still shift gears up to that selected gear.

Looks like it's not possible.

I agree that the dealer should not have charged you. If something sounds wrong, it could be wrong. And a dealer should check that for free under warranty even it nothing wrong is found.
Hint, just because the dealer found nothing wrong doesn't mean nothing is wrong.
And, on top of that, isn't a little preventative checking better than tearing something up.
The dealer should not have charged you.

I agree. I think I would have a talk with the service manager. If it's under warrenty it shouldn't cost you.