Doing a tune up

SexyStang1994

Founding Member
Jan 18, 2002
Daytona Beach, Florida
My car is at 97k so even though it isn't running bad, I want it to stay in good condition! I'm going to change the plugs/wires/waterpump/pcv screen/adjust timing. I have a few questions though.

What would be a good spark plug?
Anyone have a diagram or website for changing plugs/wires?
What is a good wire? I have Motorsport on there now (I think 8m).
Should I change the PCV screen?
I'm changing waterpump because it is leaking antifreeze

Thanks guys! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Jess..I would just stick with the Ford OEM parts....McFord has a nice kit as well as Steeda...both have everything you need...there complete kits...

You can remove that lower screen and wash it out with some paint thinner or the like...no need to really replace it...

Just give a shout when you have the parts...I'm sure we can guide you threw changing the wires....its not hardcore stuff....most kits are numbered 1-8 so you have it made...1-4 on the pass side from front to back...5-8 on the drivers side..

SexyStang1994 said:
My car is at 97k so even though it isn't running bad, I want it to stay in good condition! I'm going to change the plugs/wires/waterpump/pcv screen/adjust timing. I have a few questions though.

What would be a good spark plug?
Anyone have a diagram or website for changing plugs/wires?
What is a good wire? I have Motorsport on there now (I think 8m).
Should I change the PCV screen?
I'm changing waterpump because it is leaking antifreeze
Thanks guys! :nice:

FMS 8mm is fine.
Autolite SP's, #25 since you have no power adder and stock heads.
I used Motorcraft WP, but Cardone rebuilds (see Vib) are fine.

Im not too sure about the PCV screen..Listen to Rio.

You should have a Haynes Manual to help with the wires. Just do ONE AT A TIME.

RC

A set of Autolite 25 copper plugs, Autozone plug wires (lifetime replacement on them, no need for aftermarket wires on stock ignition), Conrad cap and rotor from Autozone, you can get the fuel filter and PCV valve, grommet and breather filter that is below that from Autozone as well. Get some anti-seize for the plugs and some plug boot grease as well. A Haynes or Chiltons manaul will help out with almost all the tune-up applications that you need to do.

I really like the NGK V power plugs. The reason I hate Autolites is that the metal shell rust like crazy. They just look like crap in a couple weeks. The NGK's have been treated with a plating that keeps them looking great for the life of the plug. The Ford 8mm are just as good as anyone elses wires, for a basic set. That oil screen is only a few bucks. If you dont have any cleaner your may as well just get a new one, you will spend that in the cleaner. One more thing that is a must. The fuel filter. Dont skimp, get it replaced.

madams74 said:
I really like the NGK V power plugs. The reason I hate Autolites is that the metal shell rust like crazy. They just look like crap in a couple weeks. The NGK's have been treated with a plating that keeps them looking great for the life of the plug. The Ford 8mm are just as good as anyone elses wires, for a basic set. That oil screen is only a few bucks. If you dont have any cleaner your may as well just get a new one, you will spend that in the cleaner. One more thing that is a must. The fuel filter. Dont skimp, get it replaced.

yeah, Napa was closed yesterday when I went to get the NGK's. I'm going to get them today! :nice: I changed my fuel filter last oil change so that's all set. :D