Dont know How To fix the CEL Codes

03StagedGT

Jul 18, 2009
Eureka, MO
i have a 03 mustang gt with a JLT cold air intake, BBK Long tube Headers, BBK Catted H-pipe

i bought all 4 new 02 sensors for it and i get a code saing 02 sensor slow reading, so i erased that and then i had one come up saying MAF problem but i checked all the connections and everything is in where it should be

the codes just keep coming back

what is a MIL for the o2 sensors and how do i get rid of the codes for good

• Sponsors (?)

It's because the codes you are getting apply to the front, before-cat O2 sensors. P0133 and P0153 are caused by a slow response on B1S1 (bank 1, sensor 1) and B2S1 (bank 2, sensor 1) O2 sensors. Sensor '1' refers to the front sensor whereas sensor '2' would refer to a problem with the rear O2 sensors (as might a "catalyst efficiency" code.)

Re those BBK long-tubes: How long have you had them on and how long have you been seeing front O2 sensor codes?

O2 sensors need heat to operate properly. They have internal heaters but they also rely on the heat of the exhaust stream. In the OE setup, the O2 sensors are placed very near the exit of the cast manifold, right up by the engine, to get them hot as soon as possible. With long tubes, the O2 sensors are placed far away, at the end of, well, "long tubes" down in the collector. They don't see as much heat down there (and indeed, may even see cooling effects due to airflow under the car...) and thus may not function as well as they might were they closer to the engine.

After asking around a little bit, I think it is because the O2 sensor is too far back on the headers, and it needs to be moved up to the collector.

There is nothing wrong, it is actually the headers fault, unless you have an exhaust leak too.

i use to get p0153 all the time with stock manifolds and o/r x-pipe turned out i had an exhaust leak and after i fixed it those codes stopped, and now i have LTs and ive never gotten a code yet and mine are down in the collector too. my guess is its an exhaust leak