Dont know whats wrong???????

trickstang94

Nov 17, 2004
CA
A while ago my engine started making this loud whistling noise, but I couldn't tell what it was. I thought it might have been an intake leak or something. So I torn down my engine since it gave me a chance to fix my timing cover leak(the crank seal). I only took off the upper/lower intake and the timing cover. Thats as far as I went. After putting it all back together I went to start it an when it finally fired up it started to back fire. No biggie, right? Wrong. That was the beginning of my problems. So I took the dizzy out, found tdc on the compression stroke of the #1 cylinder and dropped the dizzy back in. The car start backfiring in the intake also this time. Redid the last step a couple of times to make sure I was doing it right, I was, but still no joy.

I did all the tests. The ignition module tested good, I bought a stock dizzy, a new coil, new plugs, wires, and still no love. I just noticed that I can (with key on, not running) turn the dizzy and the fuel with pressurize off and on, if i spin it back and forth. I can do this with the dizzy out( just spinning the gears) I dont know if thats supposed to happen? Is it? Does anyone have a clue, have they ever seen this before?

• Sponsors (?)

The stator in the distributor acts as a crank position sensor, so by turning the shaft of the distributor, I would think that the computer thinks that the engine is turning and therefore is firing the injectors (if the distributor is out of the motor, when you're spinning it) and therefor the fuel pressure drops some as the injectors are firing. If this is the case, you are flooding your cylinders and risk hydrolocking the engine!!!! You might want to pull the plugs and allow it to evaporate before trying to crank it again. Now, don't do that again!

At any point, did you disconnet the plug wires from the dist. cap? My guess is that the firing order isn't right.

Dude i know the firing order is right. I think it might be electrical something. I cant touch the black/ blue and orange/gray pins and the fuel pressurizes. I dont know why. I would appreciate if someone could go try this on the main distributor harness its #5 and #2 pins. Just to see if its supposed to happen.

1TMF is right about the injector pulsing.

I know you went over it, but is there any chance the dizzy is 180* out? The ex stroke will blow a little air out - or did you have a VC off while stabbing the dizzy? EDIT: you posted above me while I typed - again, no offense.

Make sure the firing order is right - it's easy to use the Non HO order, etc.

Good luck.

trickstang94 said:
I would appreciate if someone could go try this on the main distributor harness its #5 and #2 pins. Just to see if its supposed to happen.
Pin 2 should be the neg coil wire and Pin 5 is SPOUT-in.