Door swapping on fox bodys

smoken44

Oct 10, 2005
My 85 gt with t-tops is in need of doors (rusted out at bottem). Scouring the local junkyards proved to be a waste of time. They said only 83-86 would fit. (t-top or convertable....no frame around window).

I found a 87 4 cly convertable with nice doors and front clip. I can get the whole car for $400........sell off the front clip to pay for the doors.

Anyway I can get them to work?......Body lines match up? How about 87-90 with window frames and just cut the frame off?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

smoken44 said:
My 85 gt with t-tops is in need of doors (rusted out at bottem). Scouring the local junkyards proved to be a waste of time. They said only 83-86 would fit. (t-top or convertable....no frame around window).

I found a 87 4 cly convertable with nice doors and front clip. I can get the whole car for $400........sell off the front clip to pay for the doors.

Anyway I can get them to work?......Body lines match up? How about 87-90 with window frames and just cut the frame off?

Thanks

I believe that the window frames bolt onto the doors and they may be interchangeable with modification. I would have to look at t-top car in person to see if the convertible door would work. If the t-top door has no window frame at all, it is likely the same door as a convertable.

A friend of mine put 88LX Doors on his 86 Coupe with no problems, So in other words I believe it will work (should be the same with TTops and Verts.. They are all FOX Bodies in 79-93 which means basically everything should be interchangeable with little or no modding), the only thing that will not match is the obvious moldings (new compared to oldstyle), Mirror I believe also is in a different place for the 87+ Verts.. should be a pretty straight swap. I believe that the Vert windows may be a little shorter (probably about a 1..1 1/2 - 2inch gap) BUT You can swap out your windows into it.

i put 87 doors on from my 87 hatch parts car to my 79 coupe.......door molding was different, anyway I hooked up a 1990 LX 5.0 complete harness from bumper to bumper and had the power windows, power locks,and mirrors working. So I know it can be done.

as for converts and t-tops model doors........i had a 82 GT once with t tops.......and they are same doors as convertibles!
Jack

they all use the same door....look undr the rubber molding on any convert or t-top and you can see were ford sent the car out and the just cut off the door window frame....my friends 82 with t-tops has doors from an 89 hatch going on it....just cut off in the same place as ford did and put the rubber molding parts back on.....

PIMTOUT said:
they all use the same door........

Just as apoint of reference (in case someone didn't know)...the 1979 Mustang's had a different internal layout compared to all other Fox's. It was a one year only design. The difference is the location of the door handle. In 1979 it was the same as all subsequent years except the door handle is at the bottom of the door instead of at the top.

All exterior dimensions are the same only the rubber trim and window surround (if it has one) will be different.